Software Engineer - BBC Platform
We're looking for talented SoftwareEngineers to join the BBCs Design and Engineering Platform team, using the latest technologies and development practices. You could be a new graduate or have some commercial experience but the most important thing is a desire to learn.
D&E platform is the division responsible for the services that drive the BBC's audience-facing products. Our services include content management, media asset management, transcoding and playback, content discovery, content delivery, syndication, device and application development platforms, and digital archiving. Our purpose is to provide world-class services through speed, quality and innovation.As Software Engineer you will in working on one of the leading platform products you will have responsibility for implementing effective software and tools to given designs.
We use the following technologies:
- RESTful web services
- Web and API frameworks such as Tomcat, Scalatra & Spring
- Version control using Git and GitHub, subversion
- DevOps and Cloud using AWS
- Continuous integration using Jenkins
- Managed development environments using Vagrant and VirtualBox
- TDD & BDD
As Software Engineer you will in working on one of the leading platform products you will have responsibility for implementing effective software and tools to given designs
As member of the team you will design and implement software using a variety of server-side technologies and ensure quality using automated unit, system and integration tests, code reviews and pair programming.
You will write clear, concise and comprehensive technical documentation and liaise with colleagues to achieve the required product features while safeguarding reliability, scalability and performance.
There are great opportunities to improve your programming skills in languages you may not currently be familiar with through training, pair programming and mentoring from our experienced engineers.
The Ideal Candidate
- You like using code to solve problems.
- Youve always got a pet project on the go.
- You are excited to be given things you have no idea how to do
Grade 7 (proposed band C)
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework which will result in employees being aligned to generic job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title shortly after joining the BBC. This re-alignment will not affect the terms and conditions of the appointment.