Software Engineer - BBC Sport
BBC Sport is at the heart of the BBC’s Online strategy. Our website is the UK’s biggest and best-loved Sport site, drawing together world class journalism and live coverage of big events that bring the nation together. With around 25 million visitors a week the Sport website is key to the output of BBC Sport. We also have a mobile app that has been downloaded over 10 million times and has a loyal user base of 4 million people.
Another of our products is BBC Live, born in our department and vital to the digital output of the BBC. It provides a consistent user experience for live events across the BBC website for TV and Radio. It combines audio and video content (including live streams and highlights) together with key moments and live text commentary into a single page.
Finally, we provide APIs and services that power our website, our mobile app, BBC Live and numerous other components and services built by News, Knowledge & Learning and Weather.
Our Sport team has delivered an amazing summer of events in 2016 including Wimbledon, the UEFA European Championship and the Rio Olympic Games, breaking all of our previous records including 20 million visitors worldwide in a single day.
Our department is based in Quay House at MediaCityUK. We have around 60 people organised into four multidisciplinary agile teams containing software engineers, testers, designers, product owners and project managers. You will be working in a small team of highly motivated people focussed on delivering excellent features and experiences for our audience.
We pride ourselves on a leading approach to software development. We have a philosophy of continuous improvement and have a strong focus on engineering excellence. We are moving to a model based around continuous delivery.
The BBC offers an inclusive workplace where the principles of fairness, respect, equality, dignity and autonomy are promoted and are part of our everyday goals and behaviour. We select candidates for our positions on the basis of merit. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity. We value and respect every individual's unique contribution to the BBC.
We are looking for people just like you to join our team. You don’t even have to like Sport! As a flexible employer we are very willing to explore part time and job share arrangements. Read on for more information about our positions.
Sport is a fun, sociable and dynamic place to work. As a member of our team you will work with us collaboratively on the following:
- Building excellently engineered, high availability solutions capable of handling huge volumes of traffic.
- Ensuring the quality of our work meets the high technical standards for BBC Online output.
- Planning features and projects using agile development practices.
- Working with our editorial and design colleagues on new application concepts and building prototypes.
- Developing tools and methodologies to improve our development process.
- Working closely with our operational support teams to ensure our solutions our supportable, scalable and reliable.
- Collaborating effectively with other teams to deliver the best possible audience experience.
- Seeking for opportunities to employ new technologies, design patterns and methods to enhance our products and services.
- Keeping abreast of developments in software engineering and technologies particularly related to mobile devices.
- Reviewing the work of your colleagues and helping others.
- Solving operational issues, including working under a Dev Ops model.
- Assisting with recruiting, mentoring and training new team members.
The Ideal Candidate
You will have experience of:
- Node.JS or similar server-side development languages.
- CSS (BEM OOCSS) and precompilers such as Sass.
- Testing tools and approaches, including Test Driven Development and test frameworks such as Mocha and Jasmine.
- Using source control systems such as Subversion and Git.
- Adopting a “can do” positive attitude, a willingness to learn and collaborate with colleagues.
You may have experience of some, but not necessarily all, of the following:
- Progressive web apps including ServiceWorkers.
- A/V media distribution, including formats, encoders, and playback.
- Working with high capacity, high traffic, and high availability websites.
- Web design concerns such as security and accessibility.
- *nix operating systems.
- Working with cloud engineering platforms such as Amazon Web Services.
- Agile software development methodologies, techniques and processes.
- Automated end-to-end application testing.
- Quickly acquiring new software skills and working with new technologies.
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background