Software Engineer - Content Discovery
Content Discovery has a mission to bring the breadth of BBC online content to our audience. Our portfolio of products include the BBC Homepage, which attracts 9 million unique users per week; online search, including iPlayer search; domestic and global navigation, with a reach of 100 million worldwide; as well a range of products that span the organisation. Content Discovery pioneers innovative, technologically challenging and creative solutions working with the whole organisation.
This is a fantastic time to join Content Discovery; we are just about to start the development and delivery of a suite of innovative products that will allow users to find and interact with BBC content in new and exciting ways.
With a focus on software engineering, you will be expected to contribute to implementation across the entire Content Discovery portfolio as required. Working in a multi-disciplinary environment with Product Managers, Project Managers, Technical Architects and Test Engineers, you will use Agile, Lean and DevOps principles to ensure the development of new features run smoothly and that your work meets the technical and operational standards for all of the BBC.
- Ensure the team's software works in the operating environment.
- Participate in troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle.
- Participate in, the team's agile planning & delivery process.
- Participate in and help improve the team’s software development methodologies, such as pairing, code & documentation reviewing and continuous delivery.
- Work with project, product & technical leads to design software and create implementable specifications & tasks.
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications.
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensure code quality and coverage.
- Work with 3rd Party ("Indies") where necessary.
- Mentor and coach more junior staff. Provide technical leadership and direction to peers and colleagues with the possibility of line management for higher grades.
- Write, review and take responsibility for technical documentation.
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience writing and maintaining large scale robust production software.
- Experience in one or more mainstream development language/frameworks (Node/JS, PHP/Zend, HTML, CSS, Java/Spring, Scala, SQL, Xquery, ReST are prevalent in the BBC).
- Experience with one or more mainstream development & deployment tool chains. (IDE, SCCS, CI). (IntelliJ, GitHub, Jenkins are used in the BBC).
- Experience in database design and use in software applications.
- Experience in web architecture & key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design).
- Experience in test driven development.
- Experience in developing for operational concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing & security considerations).
- Experience of project working and professional software development processes including Agile.
- Experience in translating product requirements into technical solutions.
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under-represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.