Software Engineer, Data Systems, BBC News (WS2020)
We are looking for a talented software engineerto join our Data Systems team and create amazing products and to influence one of the worlds largest sites. Focusing on systems underlying the BBCs online services you will design and build high quality components, largely in Java.
The team recently built the results processing system for the US election and EU referendum coverage on the News website and we run the systems underlying our mobile apps. Amongst other things were currently working on exciting new weather services and looking at how to efficiently serve journalism content to our numerous outputs around the world.
We build high-volume, fast and resilient data services. We build product-focussed data systems that underlie our journalism and our weather output. We build real-time services for our elections results services. We get the data right, do it quickly and serve it to the teams that need it.
BBC News is changing. Weve been moving towards public Cloud infrastructure since 2012 and the next, largest phase is about to begin. And we recently announced a major expansion of the World Service, bringing our journalism to more people than ever around the world with 11 new language services.
Our mobile apps are used by millions. Our website often gets 50 million hits in a day. Weve seen higher than 1.8 million concurrent users on our site and try to support every device we can, from simpler mobile phones to connected TVs. Our broadcast output is watched and listened to by people across the country and the world.
We make the BBCs high quality journalism possible, and we actively look for new ways to reach people and to tell stories and communicate in new and effective ways.
- To write, test and release quality Java code
- To design, build and iterate public Cloud environments.
- To liaise with Product Managers, Project Managers and Architects to ensure that all technical possibilities are explored and that our products achieve the best possible functionality.
- To work collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams to deliver project requirements.
- To learn new technologies and to apply these to projects as applicable.
- To make appropriate use of Test and Behaviour Driven Development.
The Ideal Candidate
What were looking for
- Software engineering experience in modern object-oriented languages, especially in Java.
- Understanding of Service Oriented Architectures, integration patterns and RESTful web services.
- Development experience using structured and unstructured data stores
- Experience working with core Internet technologies and UNIX/Linux systems.
- Experience implementing and consuming Web services.
- Experience with one or more test methodologies and of testing your own code.
- Experience of working to defined timescales.
- Grade 7
- Continuing Contract
About the Company
The BBC is committed to redeploying employees seeking suitable alternative employment within the BBC for different reasons and they will be given priority consideration ahead of other applicants. Priority consideration means for those employees seeking redeployment their application will be considered alongside anyone else at risk of redundancy, prior to any individuals being considered who are not at risk.