Software Engineer (DevOps)
WHO's it with;
The BBC Platform Audience teams have been transforming how the BBC engages with its audience by delivering more of the content they love. We do this by delivering a cloud based API suite of personalisation and participation services that fuel our big data solutions. Our services include, BBC account, recommendations, data storage, notifications, participation services such as comments and voting and data warehouse solutions. Our services are transforming the BBC into a data driven organisation supporting the delivery of BBC’s services such as iPlayer, News, Sport, Children, Weather, Radio and TV. Our tech stack is largely Java, Node.js and AWS.
This role will be embedded in a team, but will be rotated regularly across all the teams. These include
- Account team – which have built a scalable identity system based on the ForgeRock platform which is reliable at scales to tens of millions of users, and on the front end, have build a picture of each person who signs in to the BBC, enabling products – News, iPlayer, Children’s – to create unique experiences for everyone.
- User Activity Service which provides the capability to allow BBC applications, which have typically been heavily cached and one size fits all, the ability to save audience state to allow customisation across different devices and times of access.
- Single Customer View team which aims to provide a single view of the customer across platforms, devices and services by joining data from many different sources into a datalake.
- Personalisation team which is responsible for creating a platform to connect our audience to the world class content they love through personalised notifications and recommendations.
- Participation Team which builds voting (reliable at scale for millions of people voting in minutes) and commenting systems
What You’ll be doing:
With infrastructure services being central to the BBC Audience Platform strategy, we are looking to hire an enthusiastic and talented Senior DevOps Engineer to join our innovative and fast-paced environment. The post will involve working as a member of the team that is scoping, developing and maintaining a range of products across a number of different technologies and cloud environments.
On a daily basis you will be involved in:
- Interpretation of product and project requirements and translation of these into solutions that can be implemented by the development teams within BBC Audience Platform
- Ensuring that the development teams have the correct infrastructure and tooling required for the entire delivery and support cycles of the program.
- Ensuring that products delivered are supportable, cost effective, meet the department’s strategic business needs, and align to the departmental infrastructure
- Production of clear infrastructure design documentation and diagrams
- Alignment of architectural solutions with other product groups within Future Media, including collaboration on solution design to ensure fit-for-purpose end-to-end solutions
- Analysis of existing and future product volumetrics and ensure that the architecture is fit for purpose
- To consider and design for security and privacy, by understanding the relevant policies and constraints
- To oversee and lead the implementation of cloud infrastructure projects
- Working with the business and technical stakeholders in order to understand functional and technology requirements and constraints, and to reflect this in an infrastructure solution
- Be part of a DevOps support rota covering the scrum supported platforms
The Ideal Candidate
What You’ll Need:
We're looking for an experienced DevOps Engineer with in-depth knowledge of cloud based infrastructure design and delivery. You’ll be involved in design, development and maintenance of cloud infrastructure projects as part of the overall BBC Audience Platform build out. So you’ll need to be familiar with best practice web infrastructure design, performance and scalability considerations, security and privacy constraints and the technologies and tools to support.
- Strong background in Linux/Unix Administration
- Experience with automation/configuration management using Puppet, Ansible or equivalent
- Experience of cloud based technologies and infrastructure design, including AWS technologies
- A working understanding of code and script (PHP, Python, Perl and/or Ruby)
- Experience of service infrastructure design – ideally in high volume consumer facing environments. eg CloudFormation, VPC
- Experience with deploying open source software within a Linux platform using continuous integration methodologies, tooling and techniques. eg. Jenkins, Boto]
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams with designers, editorial teams and software developers.
- Extensive proven experience in specifying, developing and deploying architectures and infrastructure for software applications in a new media environment
- Experience in defining and developing high-volume, horizontally scalable architectures for always-up, always-available services
- A knowledge of BBC products, output, or infrastructure would be an advantage
- Experience with Microsoft Azure would be very beneficial
- Development: Bash, Puppet, Ansible, Docker
- Microsoft: Core (no-GUI), Powershell, WRM
- Build experience with: Java, Maven2, Artifactory
- Logging: Splunk, Elasticsearch, LogStash, Kibana Monitoring: CloudWatch to Zenoss or Nagios dashboards
- Packaging: RPM
- Knowledge of public sector security and privacy policies
WHY you’ll want it:
This is a great opportunity for someone who has experience of web technologies / infrastructure to grow their skills and experience in what is a leading edge and exciting programme. An opportunity to work in the dynamic, agile team that are tasked with providing features that allow our audiences to interact with the BBC. Our products span the whole of the BBC and reach millions of users! Not only will you be working on amazing projects and with cutting edge technologies you will be surrounded by a team of like-minded Technology professional’s from whom you can learn and grow. This is an environment where we love to share ideas, challenge the traditional with our goal of taking the BBC on the journey to be a Digital First organisation.
- Excellent career progression: The BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities: Our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community: We have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits: We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.