Software Engineer, Full Stack
We design the BBCs amazing digital experiences, from apps to websites, from iPlayer to CBeebies.
Our ace team of UX designers, architects and researchers collaborate closely with product, editorial and technical teams from across the BBC. Together we create elegant, delightful (not to mention award-winning) digital experiences on mobile, tablet, desktop and TV across 10 digital products: BBC Homepage, Search, News, Sport, Weather, Knowledge & Learning, CBeebies, CBBC, iPlayer and Radio & Music.
Take ownership of the development andmaintenanceof our public-facing and internal websites. Review proposed updates and additions, devise technical solutions and build up a rock-solid web application to serve as a UX&D GEL reference for designers and developers across the BBC and our wider public audience. Incorporate a variety of BBC tools and frameworks to make our website come alive with easily updated content: including videos, downloadable assets, articles, blogs posts, etc.
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications
- Review and give feedback on others code
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensure code quality
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools
- Write and review technical documentation
- Effectively participate in the teams software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies
The Ideal Candidate
A Software Engineer in UX&D is passionate about both technology and developing design into production code. You are enthusiastic about trying out new techniques and frameworks and communicating what you have learned with the world. You should be persuasive and able to explain new ideas to audiences with varying levels of experience and technical know-how. As the technical point-of-contact for developers working across all our product teams, you are adept at analysing questions and feedback.
Above all, you should love enabling developers and designers to build consistently amazing experiences on the BBC website.
- Full stack web development experience, including server and client-side components.
- Demonstrable experience writing and maintaining robust production software
- Competence in test driven development and broader testing & QA concerns
- Passion for promoting standards and best practise.
- Excels at conceptual thinking, possessing analytical and problem solving skills.
- Experience designing and developing RESTful API services, following industry best practices
- Strong technical writing skills demonstrated via blog posts and other written work.
Grade 7 (Proposed Band C)
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.