Software Engineer - Jakarta Service - BBC
BBC World Service is an international multimedia broadcaster, part of BBC News, delivering a wide range of language and regional services and working increasingly with other parts of BBC News to serve global audiences. It uses multiple platforms to reach its weekly audience of 320 million globally, including TV, digital platforms including social media, AM, FM, shortwave, digital satellite and cable channels.
Within the East Asia focused language services, the digital offer consists of websites, mobile sites and Social Media with all services provide multimedia content in text, video, interactive and audio for radio, online, mobile and social media platforms.
The output aims to make international news relevant to audiences in East Asia, and bring international perspectives to bear on East Asia and global developments.
All digital services share an ambitious outlook to attract more audience to our digital contents and strengthen outputs in the coming years so to respond to the changes in the market.
We are looking for a talented team based in Jakarta to showcase the best visual journalism from the BBC.
The main responsibilities for this role are -
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensure code quality
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools
- Support system integration in its operating environment
- Write and review technical documentation
- Help to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the product life cycle
- Participate in the team's agile planning and delivery process
- Effectively participate in the teams software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous deliver
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have experience in the following -
- Demonstrable experience writing and maintaining robust production software
- Competence in one or more mainstream development languages and frameworks
- Competence with one or more mainstream development and deployment tool chains (IDE, SCCS, CI)
- Experience of database design and use in software applications
- Knowledge of the web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
- Competence test driven development
- Competence in developing for operational concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing, security considerations)
- Experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile
- Being able to create straight-forward and user friendly software
Contract - 2 Year FTC
Grade - Local terms & conditions apply
Location - Jakarta
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.