Software Engineer - Online Production Systems
The BBC is one of the world’s leading creative organisations. We produce a huge range of content: news; sport; radio; TV programmes; education and learning; children’s content as well as games to name a few. All these are delivered across a huge variety of platforms from broadcast through web and mobile. We receive 11 billion online requests for media a year. We design, build and develop the platform that lets us create, manage and deliver this content to audiences worldwide. We aim to be the best in the world at what we deliver and are constantly pushing the boundaries of what the BBC can deliver with innovative new formats such as UHD, 360 video and binaural sound.
Responsible for the design and development of exciting new web applications and tools to be used by BBC editorial teams across the globe to discover, create, and curate world-class content viewed by millions of people every day.
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensure code quality
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools
- Support system integration in its operating environment
- Write and review technical documentation
- Help to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Participate in the team's agile planning and delivery process
- Effectively participate in the teams software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrable experience writing and maintaining robust enterprise software in a fast changing environment with rapid release cycles
- Experience with CSS3 (including pre –processors such as SASS)
- Competence in TDD, BDD and broader testing and code quality concerns, including use of common testing frameworks (Jasmine, Mocha, Chai, Enzyme etc.)
- Experience deploying production code in a Continuous Integration environment and an understanding of build, workflow and automation tools (webpack, babel, es2016, github, npm, yarn, grunt, gulp etc.)
- Understanding of developing for operational and non-functional concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing, scale, availability and resilience, security considerations)
- Extensive experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile and pair programming
- Knowledge of the web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
- Experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile
- A strong communicator comfortable with pair programming and collaborative working
- Experience of database design and use in software applications
- Takes responsibility for driving tasks to completion
- Understanding of designing & implementing for non-functional concerns
- Worked in a professional software development environment on several projects (including experience in testing, design and release)
- Experience of releasing their software to a production use case
- Participated in reviews and inspections of code (sat with a peer or someone more senior reviewing your code)
- Software Engineering or Computer Science Degree or equivalent
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.