Software Engineer - Radio & Music Services ( Scala )
We’re looking for a talented software engineer to join the TV and Radio Engineering department, working on the Radio and Music Services team in West London.
The Radio and Music Services team builds and maintains the APIs that power our audience facing websites and products in the Radio and Music domain. This includes radio network homepages, BBC music, the iPlayer Radio app and much more. We’re a multidisciplinary team developing services for the web on AWS using Scala and Java, following software engineering best practice and working in a Scrum-based agile fashion shipping incrementally and often.
We’re part of the TV and Radio Engineering product group, which means you will be working alongside the teams responsible for making iPlayer TV and Radio, Radio network homepages, BBC Music and /programmes.
We’re looking for a Software Engineer who cares about creating performance and accessible applications, values communication and collaborative approaches to finding the right solution, and is willing and excited to learn new skills and share their knowledge with others.
Over the next 12 months you will:
· Implement personalisation features for Radio and Music
· Help monitor performance of new functionality and offer ideas on how it could be improved
· Help improve programmes metadata
· Implement consistent search across platforms
· Alongside Technical Architects, shape and develop the BBC’s strategy around ‘listening’.
· Advise product managers and project managers on the complexities of planned work, including providing time and resource estimates in the planning of projects
· Learn new technologies in monthly hack-days and apply your learning to projects where appropriate
· On occasion you may be asked to assist the BBC’s frontline technology support teams in coping with user problems which are specific to Radio and Music Services, including attendance on out-of-hours conference calls which are scheduled to support on-air activities
The Ideal Candidate
You’ll need the following skills to be a productive member of the team:
· Knowledge and experience of API development using Scala
· Experience of working with Play, Spray, Akka
· Developing on the cloud, especially AWS
· Experience of writing unit tests and TDD
· A willingness to learn new technologies and tools and share you learning with the wider team
These skills are nice-to-haves, we do not expect you to be totally proficient in all of these already:
· Linux sysadmin
· Knowledge of one or more of the following languages - Java, Ruby, Python, Clojure
· Familiarity with version control systems (We use Git)
· Experience of database design, structuring and optimisation (we use MySQL)
· Understanding of Continuous Integration and build systems (we use Jenkins)
· Experience of project and issue tracking tools (we use Jira)
· Love BBC Radio
Fixed Term 12 Months
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.