The BBC has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Front-end Web Developer / Software Engineer to join our Lagos Hub.
Now is an exciting time to join the BBC as we are currently expanding our Language services within News.
We are looking for web developers who are enthusiastic about online journalism to join a BBC World Service Data and Visual Journalism team in Lagos The World Service Data and Visual Journalism hubs will be made up of an editor, UX designer and a developer.
You will be based in Lagos but you will also be a member of a wider international development team and will take part in that community. You will have the freedom to work on locally defined projects, but will be supported by structures and processes that ensure you will have excellent training and development opportunities and are always backed up by a team who will help you produce work to the highest standard.
Some of the main responsibilities of this role are as follows -
- Work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team and to proactively shepherd new features to live.
- To write server side code (mainly NodeJS, experience of Ruby/PHP desired)
- To work to current good software development practices.
- To write unit and integration tests using automated test frameworks.
- To work well in a team context according to the team’s shared practices.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role you will have experience in some of the below -
- Excellent front-end web development skills:
- HTML. Semantic markup patterns for flexible reuse and accessibility.
- CSS. Good understanding of modern techniques such as Responsive Web Design, recent CSS advances such as flexbox but also supporting legacy browsers.
- Building robust experiences using progressive enhancement and mobile first approaches to create experiences that work everywhere and for everyone.
- Accessibility – support all browsers with core content, ensure compliance with screen readers, in accordance with WAI standards, etc
- Great understanding of UX concerns. We want smart devs who can provide valuable feedback to designers to improve wireframes and designs.
- Ability to create production ready code with tests in one of: PHP, Ruby, Python or NodeJS (training will be provided if you don’t know PHP or NodeJS).
- Understanding of Service Oriented Architectures and consuming RESTful web services via HTTP.
- Experience of working in an agile or collaborative way.
- Familiarity in using GitHub workflows
- A level of familiarity with AWS or similar Cloud Infrastructure and associated tooling.
Location - Lagos, Nigeria
Contract - Continuing
Local terms and conditions apply
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.