Software Engineer (Web Developer)
BBC News have a fantastic opportunity for a developer who is enthusiastic about online journalism to join our team to help build front-end experiences and write server-side code for the BBC News websites. You will be working in a multi-disciplinary team alongside product owners, editors, producers, designers and testers within an agile environment.
- Write high-quality server side code, mainly Node.js, Ruby and PHP
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensure code quality
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools
- Help to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the product life cycle
- Participate in the team's agile planning and delivery process
- Effectively participate in the teams software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies
The Ideal Candidate
- Excellent front-end web development skills:
- HTML: semantic markup patterns for flexible reuse and accessibility.
- CSS: good understanding of modern techniques and recent CSS advances, such as flexbox, but also supporting legacy browsers.
- Responsive Design: using progressive enhancement and mobile-first approaches to create experiences that work everywhere and for everyone.
- Fluency in at least one of the following: PHP, Node.js, Ruby.
- Great understanding of UX concerns. We want smart developers who can provide valuable feedback to designers to improve prototypes and designs.
Grade - 7
Location - London
Contract - Continuing
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under-represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.