Our aim is simple - to enrich people's lives with programmes and services that inform, educate and entertain by being the most creative organisation in the world. But we don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it.
Broadcasting is undergoing a fundamental shift from linear to digital, driven by trends in content consumption, the influence of social media, and new technologies affecting the capture, production and distribution of content. The BBC needs a strong and adaptable engineering function at its heart to succeed and thrive in this environment.
In parallel the BBC continues to strive for improved efficiency and value for money whilst maintaining distinctive, high-quality output, and to become simpler, more agile and responsive
As a Software Engineer, some of your responsibilities will include:
- Design and implement robust, scalable, highly available components and APIs
- Implement monitoring and tooling
- Maintain and improve existing codebases and peer review code changes
- Liaise with colleagues to implement technical designs
- Make use of existing libraries and APIs and investigate and use new technologies where relevant
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree level qualification in Computer Science or related field
- Previous experience of developing software in an agile environment
- Demonstrable knowledge of object-oriented design
- Demonstrable knowledge of algorithms and data Structures
- Experience in at least one modern high level programming language (Java, Scala, Ruby, C++ etc)
- Strong experience in automated testing
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.