Software Engineering Team Leader - Back End Account Team
The BBC Platform Audience teams have been transforming how the BBC engages with its audience by delivering more of the content they love. We do this by delivering a cloud based API suite of personalisation and participation services that fuel our big data solutions. Our services include, BBC account, recommendations, data storage, notifications, participation services such as comments and voting and data warehouse solutions. Our services are transforming the BBC into a data driven organisation supporting the delivery of BBC’s services such as iPlayer, News, Sport, Children, Weather, Radio and TV.
This role will lead the Account-API team (approx. 6 engineers) that provide development of the platform that allows our audience to register and authorize on the site; working with product, delivery, test and DevOps to develop applications over web and mobile that will be used by millions of people every day.
This role will be a part of the family of Team Leads (approx. 6) that deliver the catalogue of BBC Audience Platform services.
What You’ll Be Doing
Being involved in the full life cycle of the products, you’ll need to be able to adapt quickly to new or changing requirements, produce rapid prototypes and communicate effectively with the team as a whole, not just other engineers.
We’re agile in our development with a multi-disciplinary team working closely with a Product Owner, Business Analyst and Project Manager along with dedicated QA and DevOps.
As we receive high levels of traffic, you will be responsible for ensuring the services remain performant and scalable to meet the ever growing demands.
The Ideal Candidate
Further to our standard engineering job description (above), the key skills are:
- Demonstrable experience of engineering projects that you’ve delivered (provide links where possible)
- A team player who helps others to grow and improve
- Experience of deploying production code in a Continuous Integration environment
- Experience with Cloud Services and their associated technologies, ideally AWS
- Strong experience of delivering secure code
Strong experience in delivering high performance, high volume solutions
Grade 9 (proposed band D)
About the Company
- Excellent career progressionthe BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunitiesour in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital communitywe have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.