Systems Operations Engineer, Future Experience Technologies
We are seeking a professional and enthusiastic Systems Operations Engineer for a role within the Future Experience Technologies team, part of the BBC’s world-renowned Research and Development department.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work in the BBC Taster development team. Taster is a platform on which to try new ideas and demonstrate the value of BBC creativity from across the organisation. It is about creating a place where the BBC will develop ideas rapidly and be allowed to fail.
This is an exciting and varied role, you will be a pivotal part of the team and will be working with independent developers and teams from across the BBC. You will be providing technical advice, support and oversight to their new experimental projects and guiding them through the Taster process.
As a Systems Operations Engineer, you will:
- Work with the Technical Architect to understand and advise on the hosting requirements of pilot projects from third-parties.
- Create the hosting infrastructure for the pilot projects and to support the configuration, deployment, debugging and monitoring of them.
- Be accountable for the work done for pilots and, with the rest of the team, to the third-parties that have developed the pilots.
- Contribute to the software engineering practices, especially relating to the continuous delivery processes, tooling and monitoring of the Taster platform’s cloud systems.
- Provide estimates, identify potential areas of risk and suggest mitigating actions.
- Develop the required technical skills through training and self-development.
- Monitor and report progress, escalating issues as appropriate.
- Prepare appropriate documentation for the project — to record knowledge gained or technical documentation relevant to the development of specific systems.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following skills and experience.
- High level of competency with Linux systems
- Experience of deployment and monitoring on cloud platforms
- Basic knowledge of internet protocols and technologies
- Experience developing shell scripts
- An interest in automation
- Flexibility and the ability to split time between several projects
- Ability to rapidly acquire new software skills and to work with new technologies
- Experience of production AWS deployment
- Experience working with Agile methodologies
- Knowledge of Git version control
- Knowledge of configuration management software and tools (e.g. Ansible, Puppet, Vagrant)
- An appreciation of BBC output and a passion for technology in the new media environment
9 month Attachment / Fixed Term contract
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.