Technical Architect - myBBC
myBBC is building a deeper engagement with our audiences, and finding new audiences who may not otherwise have discovered the breadth of content the BBC has to offer.
For the first time, thanks to the data we’re collecting, audiences can find (or be offered) the content that they love to listen to, read, watch or play with - at the time and place they want.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
We're looking for an experienced Technical Architect, with knowledge of the multiple different technologies that make up the myBBC solution. You’ll need to be familiar with architecting, and working with teams that have successfully delivered, highly available and massively scalable micro web services that when combined, provide calling clients with a rich and variable set of business functionality.
The role will particularly appeal to those whose experiences have shown them that architectural vision is best delivered through a consensual, iterative approach - inclusive of stakeholder and engineering input. With this in mind the Technical Architect must have a strong understanding for developing API services and client development against those services.
Trust and the Audience are the foundation of the BBC and hence data security is paramount to the success of myBBC and the Technical Architect must be able to promote best practise with respect to security and ensure all deliveries adhere to that best practise.
This is an excellent opportunity to shape and mould the architecture of a strategic platform for the future of the BBC as well as help in the transformation for how the BBC uses data to understand and better service it’s audience.
- To work with business and technical stakeholders in order to understand functional and technology requirements and constraints, to enable delivery of a coherent myBBC architecture vision.
- To interpret product and project requirements and co-ordinate within an agile delivery process, between engineering and product leadership, to deliver architecture to support delivery of the myBBC product roadmap.
- To promote industry leading architecture best practises not only within the myBBC community, but across the wider BBC Digital community.
- To develop myBBC architecture and engineering staff by providing feedback, guidance and support where necessary.
- To engage with 3rd parties where necessary to determine whether ‘buy vs build’ is the correct path for myBBC.
- To support engineering and architecture management to own and progress the myBBC architecture in accordance with the wider BBC Digital architecture governance and principals
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience in the architecture of web-scale technology platforms and applications with multiple millions of transactions per day (high-volume, horizontally scalable) delivered using agile delivery methods
- Experience of cloud based technologies and infrastructure design, including AWS
- RESTful Web service API experience in support of highly available and scalable services.
- Experience architecting and delivering message-riven distributed systems.
- Commercial experience of engaging and working with 3rd parties
- A working knowledge of data modelling and an understanding of big data infrastructure stacks would be a significant plus
- A knowledge of BBC products, output, or architecture would be an advantage
- Knowledge of public sector security and privacy policies
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.