Test Team Lead
"This is a great opportunity to join an innovative andprogressive team in a exciting, supportive and fun environment. Youll be leading a groupof dedicated test professionals working on the tools used by BBC editorial teams and partnersacross the globe to discover, create, and curate world-class content viewed by millions of people every day.
The BBC is one of the worlds leading creative organisations. It produces a huge range of content: news; sport; radio; TV programmes; education and learning; children's content as well as games to name a few. All these are delivered across a huge variety of platforms from broadcast through web and mobile. We receive 11 billion online requests for media a year. We aim to be the best in the world at what we deliver and are constantly pushing the boundaries of what the BBC can deliver with innovative new formats.Youll be joining BBC Design & Engineering where wedesign, build and develop the platform that lets us create, manage and deliver this content to audiences worldwide.
Working to the Test Manager, the Test Lead will take responsibility for managing, leading, settingdirection and co-ordinating test across a group of product test teams or a programme of work.
- Accountable for the design and implementation of test approaches across a group ofproduct test teams or programmes of work
- Recruit, mentor and manage an effective software test team
- Provide test expertise to peers and colleagues
- Support product and departmental managers incommunicating strategy and product fit and effectiveness to stakeholders at all levels
- Owning testing across complex, multi-team, distributed technology programmes
- Advocate and implement agile & lean development and testing principles to ensure efficiency of the test process
- Ensure troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle is carried out
- Implementing test management and reporting frameworks across multiple teams
- Define deliverables, provide support and manage relationship with third party testing providers
- Define risk based Test scopes, from a combination of product knowledge, user reachanalytics and technical variation between devices/platforms
- Ensure automated tests and tools are used appropriately and are effective
- Define, lead and encourage continuous improvement of testing practices
- Liaising with and directing the test processes of third party engineering projects
- Work with other test leaders in the broader organisation to share best practice and standards
- Represent test when liaising with internal stakeholders and external third parties.
- Working closely with Product Managers, Architects, Development teams and other stakeholders across the BBC
The Ideal Candidate
- Extensive experience of software testing designing and implementing test approaches forcomplex online products in a fast changing environment with rapid release cycles
- Experience of innovating in testing technology and processes
- Extensive experience of web technologies
- Effective leadership and collaboration inside and beyond the team. The ability to influence diverse and senior stakeholders effectively
- Delivery focused with evidence of driving efficiencies in delivery
- Leadership experience of testing and professional software development processes, in an agile environment
- Consulting and client management skills, including a track record of good relationship
- Appropriate professional software testing qualification
- Experience of talking in industry forums, interest groups or blogging and other broader industry engagement
- Excellent career progression: The BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious staffto seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities:Our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community:We have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges:We work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits:We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.