Tester - BBC Sport
BBC Sport is at the heart of the BBC’s Online strategy. Our website is the UK’s biggest and best-loved Sport site, drawing together world class journalism and live coverage of big events that bring the nation together. With around 25 million visitors a week the Sport website is key to the output of BBC Sport. We also have a mobile app that has been downloaded over 10 million times and has a loyal user base of 4 million people.
Another of our products is BBC Live, born in our department and vital to the digital output of the BBC. It provides a consistent user experience for live events across the BBC website for TV and Radio. It combines audio and video content (including live streams and highlights) together with key moments and live text commentary into a single page.
Finally, we provide APIs and services that power our website, our mobile app, BBC Live and numerous other components and services built by News, Knowledge & Learning and Weather.
Our Sport team has delivered an amazing summer of events including Wimbledon, the UEFA European Championship and the Rio Olympic Games, breaking all of our previous records including 20 million visitors worldwide in a single day.
Our department is based in Quay House at MediaCityUK. We have around 60 people organised into four multidisciplinary agile teams containing software engineers, testers, designers, product owners and project managers. You will be working in a small team of highly motivated people focussed on delivering excellent features and experiences for our audience.
We pride ourselves on a leading approach to software development. We have a philosophy of continuous improvement and have a strong focus on engineering excellence. We are moving to a model based around continuous delivery.
The BBC offers an inclusive workplace where the principles of fairness, respect, equality, dignity and autonomy are promoted and are part of our everyday goals and behaviour. We select candidates for our positions on the basis of merit. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity. We value and respect every individual's unique contribution to the BBC.
We are looking for talented people like you to join our BBC Live Team to help shape and manage our approach to testing, ensuring we will continue to deliver high quality live experiences to audiences worldwide.
Reporting to the Principal Tester, the Tester / Senior Tester will work with the BBC Live Team to develop, support and maintain the test processes and tools within this agile development team. As a Tester / Senior Tester you will also work with the wider Sport & Live Test Team to help deliver our test strategy, champion quality assurance within our department, and mentor and coach your colleagues.
Sport is a fun, sociable and dynamic place to work. As a member of our team you will work with us collaboratively on the following:
- Building excellently engineered, high availability solutions capable of handling huge volumes of traffic.
- Seeking for opportunities to employ new testing techniques, technologies, design patterns and methods to enhance our products and services.
- Reviewing the work of your colleagues and helping others.
- Assisting with recruiting, mentoring and training new team members.
- Being actively involved in the testing community both in the BBC and externally.
- Helping to grow the Sport & Live testing discipline and improve and hone testing as a craft.
- Helping to ensure that the relationship between developers and testers is as strong and harmonious as possible.
- Ensuring the quality of our work meets the high technical standards for BBC Online output.
- Planning features and projects using agile development practices.
- Developing tools and methodologies to improve our engineering process.
- Collaborating effectively with other teams and clients of our services to deliver the best possible audience experience.
The Ideal Candidate
You will have experience of:
- Software testing, specifically designing and implementing test approaches for online products.
- Feature/requirements scoping and shaping (e.g. Amigos sessions).
- Development workflow tooling (e.g. Github/Git).
- Defect Management tools (e.g. JIRA, Github Issues).
- Defect triage sessions including stakeholders and wider development team members.
- Creating test strategies for web/mobile technologies.
- Cross browser/device testing across modern platforms.
- Agile rituals (e.g. stand-ups, retrospectives, sprint planning).
- Innovating in testing technologies and processes.
- Testing web and mobile technologies.
- Training, coaching and mentoring team members.
- Testing tools and approaches, including Test Driven Development.
- Test automation using appropriate tools and technology (e.g. Selenium, Cucumber, Mocha, Chai).
- Agile software development methodologies including Behaviour Driven Development.
- Communicating effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues at all levels in an organisation.
You may have experience of some, but not necessarily all, of the following:
- Agile software development methodologies, techniques and processes.
- Quickly acquiring new engineering skills and working with new technologies.
- Testing high capacity, high traffic, and high availability websites.
- Testing products built on cloud engineering platforms such as Amazon Web Services.
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.