Tester - BBC Sport
What is Sport & Live?
We have around 80 people organised into multidisciplinary agile teams of software engineers, testers, designers, product owners and project managers. You will be working in a small team of highly motivated people focussed on delivering excellent features and experiences for our audience.
As a department have a wide range of projects, systems and services including:
- Sport Website and Mobile App
- BBC Live
- APIs and services
Sport Website and Mobile App
BBC Sport is at the heart of the BBCs Online strategy. Our website is the UKs biggest and best-loved Sport site, drawing togetherworld classjournalism and live coverage of big events that bring the nation together. With around 25 million visitors a week the Sport website is key to the output of BBC Sport.
With over 10 million downloads and a loyal user base of four million the BBC Sport mobile app is the most highly rated and successful mobile app made by the BBC. Mobile is one of our key platforms, particularly around personalisation and has a fast growing signed in user base.
BBC Live is key to the success of the BBC in the digital space. It provides a consistent user experience for live events across the BBC website for TV and Radio. It combines audio and video content (including live streams and highlights) together with key moments and live text commentary into a single page.
APIs and Services
We provide APIs and services that powerthe Sport Website,the Sport Mobile app, BBC Live and numerous other components and servicesbuiltby News, Knowledge & Learning and Weather. We are heavy users of cloud services such as Amazon Web Services and have many existing services we support, but also new services we are building this year.
You will be working as part of the backend services team, which helps to power the BBCs web offerings. Working on products that handle the biggest sporting and news events. As a tester on this team you will be helping to ensure the stability and quality of service this team provides. You will be required to do manual and automated testing on APIs, perform non-functional testing on back end services and ensure that the AWS services we utilise are working correctly. You will also be a part of the teams agile rituals such as amigos sessions where you will ensure testhas a voice in shaping the approach to development.
Who will I be working with?
Sport & Live is afun,sociable anddynamicplace to work. Although some people in Sport & Live are sport fanatics its not a requirement of the role. There are lots of people in our department who find things other than sport more interesting.
We have a great mix of people who are passionate about testing as well as developers who are frontend specialists, backend specialists and full stack. We are very flexible and happy to support you in moving between teams and projects that fulfil your interests.
The BBC The BBC offers an inclusive workplace where the principles of fairness, respect, equality, dignity and autonomy are promoted and are part of our everyday goals and behaviour. We select candidates for our positions on the basis of merit and as anequal opportunityemployer we value diversity and all of the benefits it brings.
Who will support me?
The BBC is widely known as an organisation that values its staff, a healthy work life balance and a positive, growth-oriented workplace. Sport & Live has an excellent reputation within BBC North as a great place to grow, learn and develop new skills. We have fantastic team leaders that are committed to helping their colleagues advance their careers. As a management team we work to provide you with the opportunities and experiences you need to succeed.
How will I be successful?
- Be a part of improving our great culture by demonstrating the right behaviours and attitudes.
- Be proactive and take opportunities to increase your knowledge and experience.
- Be a great team player and help us achieve great things together.
What will I be doing?
As a member of our team we will work collaboratively:
- Seeking for opportunities to employnew testing techniques, technologies,design patterns and methods to enhance our products and services.
- Being actively involved in the testing community both in the BBC and externally.
- Helping to grow the Sport & Live testing discipline and improve and hone testing as a craft.
- Helping to ensure that the relationship between developers and testers is as strong and harmonious as possible.
- Ensuring the quality of our work meets the high technical standards for BBC Online output.
- Collaborating effectivelywith other teams and clients of our services to deliver the best possible audience experience.
The Ideal Candidate
What skills and experience do I need?
The ideal candidate will have experience of the following:
- Testing backend services, web and mobile technologies.
- Testing tools and approaches, including TestDriven Development.
- Test automation using appropriate tools and technology (e.g. Selenium, CucumberJS, Mocha, Chai).
- Automated API testing and test design for APIs
- Testing high capacity, high traffic, and high availability services
- Load/Performance Testing using applicable tools (e.g Gatling, JMeter)
- Testing products built on cloud engineering platforms such as Amazon Web Services.
- Cross browser/device testing across modern platforms.
- Agile software development methodologies, techniques and processes.
- Feature/requirements scoping and shaping (e.g. Amigos sessions).
- Development workflow tooling (e.g. Github/Git).
- Defect Management tools (e.g. JIRA, Github Issues).
- Quickly acquiring new engineering skills and working withnew technologies.
- Adopting a can do positive attitude, a willingness to learn and collaborate with colleagues.
Grade 7(proposed band C)
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible35hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relatingto them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.