UK Finance Manager
BBC Worldwide has an exciting opportunity for a Finance Manager to join the UK Finance team, reporting into the Head of Finance.
The role will provide financial and non-financial information and analysis to enable the business to make appropriate and effective commercial decisions, ensuring that effective reporting and controls are in place to support a diversified and substantial business.
- Provide analysis and interpretation of the business area results, using monthly reporting packs to support the business to deliver the results.
- Manage the reporting process and relationships with Group Finance and the Centre of Excellence shared service centre based in Cardiff. Main contact for Cardiff with cost centre and headcount reporting, including month end actuals and quarterly forecasts.
- Review and manage the business area cash-flow to report on variances and work with the Treasury function and business units to constantly refine and improve cash-flow reporting.
- Review all balance sheet accounts, working with business area, central Finance functions, provide support and direction to ensure transactions are understood and correctly recorded with monthly reconciliations, and that the balance sheet is in line with IFRS and where applicable local GAAP.
- Co-ordinate development of annual budgets and quarterly forecasts to support the Finance Director/ Head of Finance to deliver the annual budget, quarterly re-forecasts and five year plan for the business areas.
- Work with the business areas to develop KPIs, set targets and provide on-going performance monitoring to support business to deliver results.
- Establish and maintain a strong financial control and reporting environment, complying with BBCW Accounting Policies, IFRS, and where applicable local GAAP to ensure business risks are minimised and continually looking for opportunities to improve processes and controls to ensure compliance and minimise risk.
- Support department improvement projects as required (e.g. SAP hierarchy design) to improve processes across the team.
- Support and act as a key point of information during the annual audit process to deliver the required information for sign off of results.
- Support preparation of the statutory accounts, tax and VAT returns for the UK and overseas based subsidiaries and act as key point of contact for external accountants, to ensure all statutory filing timelines are met.
- Recruit, lead, motivate, develop and manage the performance of direct reports, building a high calibre team with the skills and capabilities needed to deliver the required results.
The Ideal Candidate
Knowledge & Skills
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Analytical and financial modelling skills, adept with Excel and ideally SAP / BW
- Strong technical accounting skills
- Organisational ability
- Influencing & networking
- Commercial acumen
- Complex problem solving
- Proactive, self-starter
- Communication and presentation skills with the ability to communicate sometimes complex accounting rules to non-accountants
- Management Leadership – demonstrate the ability to manage a team
- Professional qualification in accountancy (preferably ACA or CIMA) and able to demonstrate experience PQE
- Proven track record in commercial finance is essential in a management accounting environment.
- Media sector and consumer facing business experience is desirable.
- Experience of working in a global organisation with regional / multi-site finance teams, is desirable.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, particularly Excel (including pivot tables). SAP and BW experience preferable.
About the Company
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC. BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in; commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC in the UK and around the world, In 2015/16, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £133.8M and headline sales of £1,029.4M and returned £222.2M to the BBC. Comprised predominantly of the non-English speaking world, our Global Markets business encompasses Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa (CEMA), Asia and Latin America. Business activities range from TV sales and channel operation to production and intellectual property exploitation, Commerce.