Volunteer Regional Advisory Committee Member (Children in Need, North Region)
Over the last 36 years, BBC Children in Need has raised and distributed over £800 million to projects working with disadvantaged children and young people across the UK.
Would you like to help in making decisions on making the best grants to improve the lives of disadvantaged children?
BBC Children in Need is the BBC’s UK Charity for children and young people. Its vision is that every child in the UK has a safe, happy and secure childhood and the chance to reach their potential.
We encourage applications from all parts of the community to join our North Regional Advisory Committee.
Committee Members advise the Trustees of BBC Children in Need on grant applications from organisations working to help disadvantaged children and young people in the North region. Around £11 million was distributed last year to projects making a difference to children’s lives in the North region.
The Ideal Candidate
BBC Children in Need is seeking to recruit individuals who are committed to improving outcomes for disadvantaged children and young people.
We expect committee members to bring:
• sound understanding of the issues facing children and young people experiencing disadvantage
• good understanding of the voluntary and statutory sectors
• ability to analyse complex written and financial information
• ability to assess the feasibility of projects and remain objective
• good interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate with people of all types and all levels
• good level of IT literacy
• commitment to equality of opportunity
Our North Region consists of the following counties and unitary authorities – Humberside, South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, East Yorkshire, North Yorkshire, Durham, Tyne and Wear, Northumberland, Tees Valley, Cheshire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Lancashire and Cumbria.
• Committee members are appointed for 3 years.
• The time commitment is anticipated to be 6-8 days each year for meetings and training. In addition there is time spent reading applications prior to each meeting.
• As Committee meetings are held at venues across the region the roles require some travel and overnight stays.
• You will need private access to a telephone, computer and high speed internet.
• We reimburse expenses e.g. travel, phone calls, overnight stays.
How to apply
To apply, please send a CV and a covering letter demonstrating how you meet the specific requirements of this role as outlined above, to Northwest9@bbc.co.uk, by midnight on 17 March 2017. Please clearly specify the role that you are applying for.
N.B. Please apply by email not through by clicking the 'Apply' button below.
As we seek to maintain a balance of skills and experience across our Committee we will be actively seeking to select new Committee members who add value by bringing diversity to the current membership.
Interviews for the Regional Advisory Committee members will be held on 3 & 4 April 2017.
Successful candidates will be invited to observe the full Committee Meeting on 15 & 16 May 2017, and to attend an induction and training in early May 2017 (dates TBC).
For further information about the role please contact Isabel Farnell, Regional Head – North region on 0303 083 5774 or 07590307186, or via email Isabel.Farnell@bbc.co.uk
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.