Agile Business Analyst - BBC Sport
As a Business Analyst for the BBC Sport and Live Events team within Design and Engineering, you will be part of a world class team, transforming the ways people enjoy sport and live event content online through ground-breaking technology.
The team are tasked with delivering a new digital vision for online sport content and for live coverage for the whole of the BBC across mobile, tablet, web and Connected TVs.
Having already delivered world class products for the Rio 2016 Olympics, World Cup, Commonwealth Games, Glastonbury, the 2015 General Election and EU referendum, the team transformed how audiences enjoyed a wide range of events over the last three years. This role will work to ensure the Sport and Live products continue to deliver these ambitions while making them more personalised and participatory – assisting in the delivery of features from a range of technical teams.
The Sport team manage and develop products on websites, mobile devices and interactive TV. We have a world-leading approach to content management and metadata. The key challenge within Sport is delivering quality and high levels of scope to the fixed dates of large sporting and national events. This is both challenging and massively rewarding.
The Live team is responsible for delivering the vision highlighted in Director General Tony Hall’s strategy for the future of the BBC of one service proposition that can be used for major sporting tournaments, music festivals, major news events and popular live TV shows.
- Work closely with the Product Manager to gather, understand and prioritise new requirements and run requirements gathering/definition workshops
- Assist in translating requirements (both functional and non-functional) for products, into user stories and acceptance criteria for iterative delivery.
- Collaborate and interact with multi-disciplined development teams, contributing to the definition of the product and ensuring that there is a clear understanding of what is being delivered.
- Understand and help to maintain a clear product vision across the whole team - be aware of the product and technology strategy and help to work towards it.
- Help facilitate decision making with stakeholders and the development team.
- Investigate solutions using a range of approaches, including researching competitor products, commercially available solutions, other BBC products and services.
- Gather, analyse and report on usage data or other such relevant data in support of measuring the performance and value of product features.
- Support changes to existing features, including assessment of impact, communication to stakeholders and the development team, planning and prioritisation.
- Understand and analyse current processes and workflows. Identify opportunities for improvement.
- Communicate project issues so there is an understanding of the problem and the options for how it would be solved.
- Gain approval and sign-off on new features through demos and user acceptance testing.
- Assist in testing new features, ensuring the delivered solution meets the acceptance criteria.
- Contribute to BA best practice in the department and the development of the business analysis discipline.
The Ideal Candidate
- Understanding of Agile (particularly Scrum) software development methodologies.
- Ability to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts and be able to explore and evaluate them systematically.
- Quickly understands business issues and technical challenges on a project.
- Understand the Product Management Lifecycle / Process within BBC Design & Engineering.
- Understands the role of the BA in supporting delivery of features on agile projects.
- Takes input from supervisor and is able to then run with the task without much further guidance (work autonomously).
- Can work collaboratively with stakeholders and stay open to ideas/suggestions.
- Understanding of relevant technologies, especially online application projects.
- High degree of internet and computer literacy.
- Able to effectively manage expectations of stakeholders.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Can effectively present options and recommendations to stakeholders.
- Can work proactively to resolve project issues and mitigate project risks.
- Can interpret basic data models.
- Experience working within agile software development environments.
- Experience working in a new media software delivery environment.
- Experience communicating concepts and ideas to stakeholders, including oral and written presentations, proposals, specifications and reports.
- Experience of working on online application projects and with relevant technologies.
- Evidence of problem solving ability and providing creative solutions.
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrable experience of using relevant documenting and diagramming techniques, such as Domain Models, Process Flow, Use Cases, User Stories, User Journeys, Acceptance Criteria.
- Business analysis experience, with focus on delivering value to audiences in an iterative way.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- A strong interest in BBC Online products and content output.
- A strong interest in sport and/or previous experience of working in the sport domain.
- Experience of two to three of the following: data-driven web publishing, social networking and community sites, audio and video streaming, responsive web sites, mobile products and devices, content management systems, interactive TV and broadcast systems.
- Working knowledge of BBC output; editorial, compliance, and regulatory issues.
- Understanding of the BBC’s infrastructure and working practices .
- Can construct basic data models.
- Has experience applying basic UML techniques.
- Has received training in Business Analysis - perhaps accredited to BCS/ISEB Business Analysis diploma level.
- Experience of managing relationships with third party suppliers.
- Experience of running creative workshops to resolve complex scoping issues and stakeholder conflicts.
- Experience of presenting findings of research to senior stakeholders.
Grade 8 (proposed band D)
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.