Voice and Conversational User Interfaces are the new frontier in interaction with internet services. From Alexa to Siri, Google Assistant to Cortana, the way we interact with the internet is changing, and fast. Assistants are rapidly becoming a part of everyday life for millions of our consumers and are now the fastest growing medium for interaction with the internet. Our mission within the newly formed BBC Voice and Conversational Interfaces team is to shape interaction with the BBC at both an audience and organisational level through these assistants, and pioneer new formats and technology that bring the BBC to life in an artificial intelligence first world. It’s exciting stuff.
You will be working with our product, editorial and engineering teams from across the business to build the BBC’s content offering and interaction model to all 3rd party voice assistants, in addition to working with our platform colleagues to develop the technology platforms that will power the BBC as we evolve in to an AI first digital world.
- Understand & help to maintain vision across the whole team and be aware of the end goal for the solution and work towards it. Act as the customer advocate.
- Lead requirements gathering sessions with various groups of stakeholders.
- Facilitate decision making with stakeholders and the development team. Includes conversations about scope, about the detail of individual requirements and bigger picture approaches to the solution, and about providing clear options.
- Work closely with Product Managers and stakeholders to collect, understand, organise and document the business requirements (both functional and non-functional) for products, projects and features, translating these into written specifications, user stories, scenarios and features.
- Identify, analyse and document business processes & workflows. Identify opportunities for streamlining and improvements.
- Assist stakeholders with process of prioritising requirements and tasks.
- Communicate & present requirements to stakeholders and delivery team.
- Be comfortable communicating technical issues to the client in a way that makes the business impact clear.
- Communicate project issues so there is an understanding of the problem and the options for how it would be solved.
- Investigate and evaluate solutions using a range of approaches, including researching competitor products, commercially available solutions, other BBC products and services.
- Support, facilitate, or execute acceptance tests, ensuring the delivered solution meets the business requirements and agreed quality criteria
- Collaborate and interact with delivery teams contributing to the definition and delivery of the product and supporting processes/workflows to a high standard, within agreed timescales and within budget.
- Gather, analyse, and report usage data or other such relevant data in support of measuring the performance of products.
- Be at the forefront of emerging technologies and understand their relevance to the product, BBC and its diverse audience.
The Ideal Candidate
- Business analysis experience working in a Agile software delivery environment such as Scrum and/or Kanban.
- Understanding and experience of business analysis skills, techniques, and practices with an eye for detail.
- Ability to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts explore and evaluate them systematically.
- Requirements documenting for various audiences - both technical & non-technical.
- Facilitate decision making with stakeholders, product, designers and the development team.
- Able to effectively manage expectations of stakeholders.
- Where appropriate make product decisions based on qualitative research, quantitative usage data, or predictions of either.
- Demonstrable experience of using relevant documenting & diagramming techniques such as BDD features and scenarios, UML, Domain Models, Process Flow, Use Cases, User Stories, User Journeys.
- Experience of working in a deadline driven environment with rapid release cycles.
- Working collaboratively with stakeholders and other areas of the BBC and stay open to ideas/suggestions from others.
- Understanding of relevant technologies, especially online application projects.
- Experience of using standard business software tools e.g. spreadsheets, documentation, presentation packages.
- Experience working with a Voice device related products
- Understanding of developing products and services for editorial teams
- Experience of working with analytics tools
Grade 8 (proposed band D)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35 hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.