Renowned and loved throughout the UK and the world, the BBC has become a household name that delivers online content to more than 25 million people globally, and we are proud to say that we help make that magic happen! In TV Platforms, we work closely with all UK platform and major global TV device partners to ensure that our audiences have a high-quality iPlayer, Sounds, and Red Button products available to them, on the widest range of certified TV devices. Streaming of video content and the number of supporting devices is growing exponentially. Our challenge is to integrate and innovate with the rapidly expanding and evolving industry, whilst ensuring high availability and the quality of our products. We are a highly collaborative team of engineers, testers, UX designers, and product owners. We value our engineers, offering regular training and development opportunities, as well as ‘10% time’ - allowing dedicated time for self-improvement, learning, and innovation. We take the time to reflect and improve on how we’re working through team retrospectives and mentoring. We’re a hard-working team who are supportive, care about each other, and promote a healthy work-life balance with opportunities for flexible working hours and a friendly working environment
How do we work?
We are an agile team and we do releases almost every day. We support this by making sure our testing is robust and that our pipelines are steadfast. We monitor our systems in production to understand the impact of change every time we do a release.
We work in multi-discipline crews with Software Engineers, Testers, Product Owners, and Delivery, in a respectful and collaborative environment. We encourage a culture of team empowerment that supports self-development for each individual.
As a Tester you will be expected to:
- Work with teams, shaping products and systems then planning and executing tests using the most appropriate test approach.
- Ensuring that the software delivered is fit-for-purpose in the planned timescales.
- Contribute to the design, implementation, and delivery of testing
- Work with other testers in creating and managing our Test Data, stubs, and harnesses.
- Work with other disciplines to integrate components into systems.
- Validate the system as a whole to ensure it delivers the business requirements and benefits, reporting status against schedule.
- Ensure that high value is achieved from Test automation relative to the investment made.
- Have an ability and willingness to determine when to automate tests and when to adopt a manual approach to testing.
- Create detailed and accurate bug/defect tickets.
- Contribute in troubleshooting product issues and providing accurate information to aid fixes.
- Champion quality continually improves team processes, and ensure it adheres to overall Test Strategy.
- Keep up-to-date developments and best practices within the development, testing and new media.
The Ideal Candidate
Are you the right candidate?
- Hands on experience in Test with a strong focus on delivering quality
- Experience in testing TV applications on TVs, Streamers and Game
- Experience working within a continuous integration delivery environment.
- Good understanding of building and testing TV / Web applications
- Experience within Agile working environments, pairing and working within a collaborative team
- Experience in working with and influencing agile processes across disciplines such as Kanban, Scrum.
- Strong passion towards software testing and is an advocate of good practices in Testing.
- Good understanding of the AWS platform and what it offers as a dedicated host e.g. Cloudwatch, Lambda, Codepipeline
- Good understanding of web technologies and tools e.g. XML, HTML, CSS, JSON, REST, React, AngularJS, Node.js, Casperjs, Puppeteer.
- Developing Test Plans, Test Scripts, Defining Test Data and Reports
- Using test and issue management tools e.g. TestRail, Jira
- Creating Test approach from business requirements and acceptance criteria.
- Working with source control tools e.g. Github
- Testing front-end and back-end Web / TV systems
Contract type: Full Time, Permanent
Location: Salford, Media City
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here