BBC Archives department forms part of the BBC Design & Engineering division and has teams across London, Caversham and the English Regions and we manage one of the world’s largest multimedia archives. Our vision is to archive, preserve and store content so that the BBC has an enduring and accessible cultural memory. The archive is a working collection of content and information that includes BBC Television and Radio output, music, web content, images and documents. The department adheres to archive policies to identify, select and archive all types of assets that are created by the BBC. This fulfils our Charter obligations as well as the business functions of utilising existing material for re-use, research and legal access.
The BBC Written Archives Centre, which holds the BBC’s permanent written archives from 1922 – 2000s deals with enquiries and research for BBC programme makers and administrators, and also supports external access to the collections for academic research.
We are currently looking for Archive Assistants to support the wide range of activities and processes required to deliver the BBC Archives strategy
It requires demonstrating high quality customer service to support the management of BBC assets, using a wide range of administrative and technical systems to support the movement and management of collections held within BBC Archives. It also requires working effectively and efficiently as part of a team to ensure Archives standards are met and improved.
Some of your duties will include:
- Providing administrative and technical support to Archives teams
- Controlling circulation of material using various systems
- Ensuring relevant delivery information is included with orders and that online systems are up-to-date
- Meeting urgent delivery deadlines, particularly in relation to broadcast-critical material
- Ingesting archive content on to electronic servers and uploading material on to shared folders
- Dealing with enquiries relating to holdings and processes, and dealing with customer enquiries regarding, for example, delivery and despatch of material and resolving service recovery problems
- Dealing with basic research enquiries
- Operating technical equipment for copying, viewing and listening purposes
- Maintaining collections in a tidy and consistent manner
- Working as part of a pool to provide cover for colleagues during normal absences
- Undertaking other duties as appropriate
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of customer service, working under pressure, flexibly and to tight deadlines
- A good appreciation or knowledge of databases and computer software packages (in particular Microsoft Excel) and their application to information services
- Experience of computer software packages and working with administrative and technical systems
Please note that there are 5 Archive Assistant roles available
We look forward to receiving your application.