The Written Archives Centre holds the BBC’s written archives from 1922-2000s and deals with queries and research for programmes and from other areas of the BBC, as well as for external academic researchers.
- To assist in developing a programme of accessioning and cataloguing material, and preparing finding aids to archival standards in order to ensure the rapid and accurate retrieval of information.
- To assist in developing a preservation programme by identifying items in need of treatment and carrying out basic conservation.
- To undertake other duties appropriate to the level of the position.
- Auditing, accessioning, classifying and shelving new and existing material with due regard to its archival provenance, significance and physical state.
- Adding legacy paper descriptions to the catalogue, ensuring accurate data entry & record keeping.
- Helping to implement a preservation programme as defined by the Archives Conservator by carrying out basic conservation techniques, including re-packing, copying and removing fragile items
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of electronic information systems and various types of cataloguing standards e.g. ISAD(G).
- Understanding of authority records within a database/catalogue e.g. location, person.
- Able to add legacy descriptions (paper and digital) to catalogue ensuring accurate data entry.
- Able to accurately add metadata to electronic cataloguing and record-keeping systems.
- Awareness of issues with handling of fragile paper records.
- Understanding of confidentiality and legal issues associated with some records.
Grade 3 (proposed band A)
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.