The Written Archives Centre holds the BBC’s written archives from 1922-2000s and deals with queries and research for programmes and from other areas of the BBC, as well as for external academic researchers.
- To answer enquiries received form within the BBC and outside, particularly requests for specific documents such as contracts, programmes-as-broadcast/completed and scripts, assessing their status and priority and dealing with hem appropriately.
- To carry out support duties for functions such as intake, acquisition, cataloguing, documentation enquiry, issue, selection, disposal and preservation requiring sound judgement.
- To undertake other duties appropriate to the level of the position.
- Answering mainly internal enquiries for contracts, scripts and programme information within clear parameters. Locating the necessary files, microfilm, computerised or other sources as required. Collating the information in order to give an appropriate answer. Assisting more senior staff in their enquiry work.
- Issuing and returning material on relevant IT systems and to/from physical storage location.
- Chasing files loaned.
- Assisting with intake and acquisition procedures including physical handling of new material and discarding of duplicates.
- Identifying items needing conservation/binding.
- Carrying out basic conservation techniques, including re-packing, copying and removing fragile items.
- Preparing items for despatch.
- Assisting with staff training and induction sessions for BBC Archives and other BBC Departments by talking about WAC holdings and procedures.
- Preparing exhibition material for local or external events, including the identification, issuing, packing, replacing & recording of suitable items.
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience of customer service, working under pressure, flexibly and to tight deadlines.
- A good appreciation or knowledge of databases and computer software packages (in particular Microsoft Excel) and their application to information services.
- Experience of computer software packages and working with administrative and technical systems.
- Understanding of confidentiality and legal issues affecting access.
- Training in administrative or technical systems.
- Experience of working as part of a customer-focused team or within a customer-focused environment.
- Experience of working within an Archives or Broadcast and Media Content Management environment, or within a complex organisation.
Grade 3 (Proposed Band A)
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.