Archives Collection Manager – Written Archives Catalogue
BBC Archives is seeking an experienced archive professional to lead work on the ArchiveIndex+ collection management and catalogue system for the Written Archives. Already installed, with some configuration, structure and population completed, we have now identified the need for a dedicated role to drive the product through to the next stage as the principle collection management and discovery tool for BBC and external user communities. You’ll lead a small team of cataloguers and assistants, and work closely with technologists, BBC Archives colleagues, and the supplier to realise the potential of the product to transform access and services. This is a fixed term contract role for 18 months, based in Caversham, near Reading, Berkshire.
- Lead on the implementation and population of the Archive Index+ system.
- Ensuring adherence to policy and processes for making archival records available to BBC and external users
- Lead on representing archive requirements when working with technologists and the system supplier
- As part of the BBC Written Archives management team, contribute to the development of processes and service development
- Management of up to 10 direct reports in line with BBC span of control manager:team ratio
Are you the right candidate?
- A higher education qualification in Archives, Records or Information management; or extensive experience of working in Broadcast and Media Content Management.
- Demonstrable subject matter expertise in Archive catalogues or Content Management Systems
- Proven ability in the day to day management of a professional service, including staff and budget management in a customer-focused environment.
- Communication and negotiation skills with both staff and customers, and proven ability to successfully manage relationships within an archive or production environment.
- Experience of working under pressure, flexibly and to tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of collection management and catalogue systems and their application to archive services, particularly in respect of new developments and direct customer access.
- Ability to work independently and to delegate responsibilities effectively, so as to plan utilisation of staff resource to ensure maximisation of effort.
- Excellent motivational and communication skills.
- Knowledge of BBC commissioning, scheduling and production processes
- Knowledge of broadcasting technology practices, relevant regulations
- Project and Change Management experience.
- Experience of mentoring and developing others to learn new skills and fulfil potential.
18 Month FTC / Attachment
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.