Assistant Accountant, Cairo Bureaux
The BBC is committed to redeploying employees seeking suitable alternative employment within the BBC for different reasons and they will be given priority consideration ahead of other applicants. Priority consideration means for those employees seeking redeployment their application will be considered alongside anyone else at risk of redundancy, prior to any individuals being considered who are not at risk.
International News is at the heart of the BBC. BBC News Group employs approximately 800 staff in around 70 international bureaux. It provides multimedia services to a global weekly audience of over 250 million in English and 27 languages around the clock, every day of the year. The bureaux react to breaking news, provide news updates and analysis and produce live programme output. In a highly competitive market, delivering to both UK Licence Fee payers and commercial partners, BBC News services must be reliable and consistent. In 2011, Newsgathering, World Service and Monitoring teams came together into one News Group and by April 2014, all World Service and Monitoring activity will have transferred to Licence Fee funding.
We are recruiting for an Assistant Accountant who will report to the International Hub Bureau Manager for the running of the Cairo Bureaux finances.
You will be responsible for the efficient functioning of the office finance, and to give reliable support to the editorial activity of the Cairo Bureaux by assisting in the finance area for all divisions, in compliance with the strategic priorities of all parts of the business. You will work alongside the International Bureaux Finance (IBF), IB teams and the International HRBP. Such as the following;
- Being the custodian of petty cash and required to prepare all records and statements relevant to cash management. Includes;
- Recording office expenditure and managing the budget;
- Maintaining a proper cashbook along with all filing of statements, receipts and documents supporting the expenses.
- Responsible for ensuring that petty cash funds are physically secured or attended by an authorized person at all times.
- Perform the preparation of cash and cheque payment voucher based on approved documents according to BBC Policy and effecting payment of petty Cash Payments and cheque payments timely.
- Ensure that sufficient Petty Cash Fund is maintained at office for financing weekly expenditure and to request the replenishment of the fund before the balance is reduced to minimum limit.
- Assist the Senior Accountant in preparing all financial statements; including Management Accounts, statutory accounts, recording each transaction in an appropriate and timely manner Maintain correct cash balances at cash registers.
- Prepare for Cash verification on monthly basis and for unexpected cash count.
- Issue advance forms and effect payment to staff after getting the required approval.
- Receive any money back from staff and issue cash receipt.
- Review advances receipts and ensure the accordance of BBC policy.
- Arrange payment to Radio contributors on weekly basis and update Radio contributors’ log.
- Assist in periodical fixed assets count.
- Review the Rote with provided timesheets on monthly basis prior to salaries payment.
- Co-ordinating with staff on travel and other expenses and providing guidance on filing of expense claims etc as per BBC policies.
- Keep a record of overtime and ensure that the necessary support documents are on file.
- Handling office day-to-day expenditure.
- Recording of office expenses and operations.
- Ensuring that filing and record keeping is appropriate and in line with the Bureaux Finance Manual and local requirements.
- Assist in the implementation and maintenance of a strong financial control environment, and ensure agreed processes are followed.
- Complying with policies and procedures in line with IBF guidelines.
- Assist in preparation and submission of monthly expense reports.
- Assist in periodical fixed asset count & verification.
Are you the right candidate?
We are looking for an Accountant who is fluent in spoken and written Arabic and English with excellent communications skills and the ability to manage remote communication effectively. You will have sound book keeping experience including: working with budgets, producing timely and accurate information and reports, advising managers of cost issues.
The ideal candidate will have a lively interest in the broadcast news, online news and wider media environment and appreciation of the particular demands it may place on financial and administrative work and willing to spread best practices to all BBC divisions operating in Cairo.
Local terms and conditions
Contract: 12 month attachment/fixed term contract
Location: Cairo, Egypt
To be eligible for this position, you must be a resident of Cairo or Giza “ Egypt”
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework which will result in employees being aligned to generic job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title shortly after joining the BBC.