BBC Children in Need have a fantastic opportunity for an Assistant Press Officer to join us on a 6 Month Fixed-Term Contract / Attachment (Maternity Cover).
BBC Children in Need’s vision is that every child in the UK has a safe, happy and secure childhood and the chance to reach their potential. The charity currently funds over 3,000 projects across the UK supporting disadvantaged children and young people.
- To assist on the implementation of the press and publicity plan for BBC Children in Need, working with a diverse range of media outlets across numerous campaigns and initiatives.
- To publicise and raise awareness of BBC Children in Need’s grant-making activities across the UK, including announcements about new funding.
- To develop and support PR campaigns for a range of fundraising activities and events, working with the wider PR and Talent team.
- To research potential case studies from our grant portfolio for use in regional publicity.
- To liaise with projects/contributors involved with regional storytelling for BBC Children in Need, ensuring contributors are supported and briefed appropriately.
- To assist in the compilation of PR materials for a breadth of media campaigns, including press releases, media briefings, media lists and images.
- To support the BBC Children in Need press office function both proactively and reactively, liaising with press in order to fulfill coverage opportunities.
- To assist with the organisation and delivery of a range of events, photo shoots and visits.
- To contribute to the wider External Affairs team on collaborative initiatives.
- To sustain the administrative duties of the team to ensure efficiency, duties will include logging and tracking all media coverage, compiling news clippings, and sharing news stories with the wider team when required.
- To monitor the media and share any relevant stories with colleagues across the charity.
The Ideal Candidate
- Previous experience of working in a PR role
- Administrative experience in a fast-paced office environment
- Copywriting experience / ability
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent team working skills
- Experience / knowledge of the workings/function of social media / digital PR would be desirable
Contract Type: 6 Month Fixed-Term Contract / Attachment
Location: UK - Flexible
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here