Assistant Script Editors - Talent Pool
As part of a highly creative production team, the Assistant Script Editor will provide editorial and research support in all stages of development and production, where necessary.
- Responsible for assessing pitches, outlines, treatments, scripts and novels – both fiction and non-fiction - in terms of the research requirement indicated by the story. This will involve in-depth and specific research.
- Identify, and where necessary establish and maintain relationships with experts in specific fields.
- Read and report on outlines, treatments, scripts and books submitted, acting as a creative filter.
- When in production, assess all scripts in order to ensure the continuity of research in story lines and the accuracy of any factually based dialogue
- Alert Script Editors and Writers to any difficulties or inconsistencies which may arise from such research and to suggest ideas for possible alternatives where research suggests that the original idea is no longer viable.
- Undertake all necessary administrative tasks including where required, the compilation and distribution of an accurate transmission précis of each episode, maintaining a script submission system.
- Assist the Script Editors in ensuring that all negative checks (e.g. brand names) are completed and that all reasonable action has been taken to avoid copyright infringement, libel and defamation.
- Liaise with creative talent and their agents, establishing contacts and building relationships across the writing industry.
- To source and suggest writers for projects in development.
Are you the right candidate?
- An awareness of BBC editorial guidelines and other compliance policies.
- Passion for drama, literature, digital storytelling and the audience.
- Experience of working in development, including script reading, writing script reports and working with writers.
- A broadly based knowledge and a familiarity with conventional and specialised sources of information and research techniques. An understanding of script writers and the script writing process.
- Ability to use IT proficiently, including a range of software packages such as Final Draft.
- Experience of handling confidential and/or controversial information with tact and sensitivity.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with a wide variety of internal and external colleagues and contributors.
- Able to work as member of a team and work in a confident and collaborative way.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here