The BBC World Service delivers a multi-platform news service in English and 41 languages to hundreds of millions around the world on digital, TV and audio platforms. Reporting to the Head of Audience Insight, BBC World Service, the post holder will be responsible for delivering key projects, often with transformative potential. The post holder will also play a key role in shaping audience strategy and facilitating data driven decision making by senior most stakeholders.
The post holder be accountable on multiple projects that aim to understand current and potential audiences around the world, to track and interpret societal, cultural, and technological trends, and to therefore deliver actionable insight for better audience outcomes. The Research Manager will draw upon a range of techniques for analysing data and presenting in ways that are understandable to the non‑specialist audience.
The post holder will have significant experience in both quantitative and qualitative research methods and play a key role in designing research projects to address business needs. This role will be platform agnostic and will draw upon a variety of research techniques including digital analytics to find the best approaches and solutions to better understand audience needs.
The Ideal Candidate
- Ability to think strategically; convert research data /evidence to long term strategic recommendations
- Line management and mentorship experience is key. The role will have line management responsibility of a number of high performing individuals.
- Experience of working with and influencing senior stakeholders; significant stakeholder management skills
- Demonstrable record of achievement in influencing business change
- Strong skills base in a specified area within research: qualitative, quantitative or others
- Even if you are not a digital analytics specialist, this role will require a good understanding of digital data, the digital environment and digital analytics.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience of proactively conceiving, designing and executing research projects that answer big strategic questions will be a plus
- Experience of audience research- in any category- in global markets, especially emerging economies will be a plus
The post holder will be required to build collaborative working relationships across a wide range of different business areas including editorial, marketing, strategy, business development and distribution.
Contract Type: Fixed term contract until 15/03/2022
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in the UK
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 25 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here