BBC Data Science Degree Apprenticeship
- Do you enjoy coding and software programming?
- Are you fascinated about machine learning and artificial intelligence?
- Do you love using mathematics to solve problems?
- Do you want an amazing experience, a salary, and get to go to university as well?
This is an exciting opportunity to get into the world of work, earn money, and gain a BSc degree.
The degree is fully funded, including any required accommodation whilst at university or with our training providers.
Based in London with BBC Design and Engineering teams, you'll get to work at the heart of Data Science at the BBC, all while studying for a BSc degree with a UK University and completing this industry designed apprenticeship.
You will complete both off-the-job and on-the-job training. You'll study for a bachelor's degree (Hons) with tailored modules in but limited to:
- The use of Data Science and Engineering within the organisation to serve our audiences and story tellers.
- Data Systems Development, modelling and Integration.
- Programming and building/testing of business intelligence systems
- Statistical and mathematical models and methods.
- Structure and operation of high velocity data systems and develop understanding of operating systems, peripherals and networking hardware and software infrastructure.
- Research and Development of prototype Data Solutions for the business and our audiences.
Through a series of university taught modules and industrial experience we will prepare you as the new community of Data Scientists and Engineers to help build and support the future business. You’ll develop an excellent theoretical and practical understanding of business intelligence and AI systems and their use in the fast-moving broadcasting industry.
Are you the right candidate?
You love solving problems and seeing how things work. You need to be the type of person who wishes to advance into a computer/data science field. You will be someone who naturally wants to be a hands-on Engineer and will feel comfortable developing over the course of the scheme to work with mathematics, computer software and hardware. We will provide you with all the training to develop into a highly capable Data Scientist or Engineer. We're not looking for you to come with work experience but throughout the application process we'll be asking for evidence that shows your passion and ability for technology and mathematics. You need to be a people person and you will develop to be effective at working with people who are either technical or non-technical.
Throughout the application process, we will be assessing the following:
- Mathematical Problem solving
- Awareness or understanding of Software Programming
- Practical application
- Time Management
As this is a degree scheme we need strong academic performance. The minimum academic criteria is at least 112 UCAS points (300 if before 2017), including a Maths A level or equivalent qualification or closely related subject. You will have interest and confidence to develop your working knowledge and skills in software programming, algebra, statistics, logarithms and recurrence equations. These are some of the mathematical techniques required for Data Science Engineering.
To be eligible for this scheme, you will need to have the right to work in the UK.
About the BBC
Diversity matters at the BBC. We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from all individuals. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.