BBC Digital Degree Apprenticeships in Software Engineering
Would you like to play your part in helping to create some of the world’s most innovative and popular apps, websites and services, loved and used by millions of people?
BBC Digital is launching their new Degree Level Apprenticeship Scheme in Digital and Technology Solutions.
BBC Digital is responsible for all of the BBC's digital media services, including iPlayer (TV & Radio), News, Sport, Weather, CBBC, CBeebies, iWonder, Playlister, Homepage & Search and you will have the unique opportunity to work on these services as a software developer / engineer by being part of the Apprenticeship Scheme.
The Apprenticeship Scheme combines on the job practical training, a structured 4-year Career Development Plan and a degree level qualification. During the 4-year Scheme you will be trained in software development / engineering, so if you’re passionate about coding and developing websites, then this is the apprenticeship for you! This is a great opportunity to have the very best start in your career working in one of the industry leading companies that inspires millions of people every day.
Each apprentice will be working within one of our BBC Digital Product Teams delivering software utilising a variety of technologies, frameworks and platforms. The successful candidates will have good analytical, creative and logical reasoning skills with a passion for software (for example websites, mobile apps and TV apps), technology and digital services (such as the Connected Red button on TVs).
Some of the typical day-to-day activities include:
- Working with new technologies and devices on great BBC Products such as CBBC, Ceebies, iWonder and Sport
- Contributing to the design, development and testing of software in line with standards and practices outlined within the department
- Working within an Agile software development environment
- Collaborating with the team and other stakeholders to achieve successful delivery of high quality software products
Are you the right candidate?
What are the entry requirements?
- You must be 18 years old or over to take up this position when it starts.
- You must live within the North West area and be able to travel to MediaCityUK, Salford.
- You must have at least five GCSEs grades A*-C, including English and Maths.
- We require you to have Level 3 qualifications such as A levels or BTEC National (or equivalent) in a relevant subject (i.e. maths, IT or another science)
- You are not eligible to apply if you already received or are currently working towards a Level 4 or equivalent qualification (i.e. Level 4 apprenticeship, degree or foundation degree) and above.
- You must have the right to work in the UK. We will not accept applications from you if you require a work permit.
Please ensure that you read the attached documents at the bottom of this page BEFORE applying.
You'll need to demonstrate:
- Effective analytical and creative thinking
- Good logical reasoning
- Confidence with numbers and maths
- A strong eye for detail
- Good organisational and planning skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
You’ll also need to be able to work collaboratively and be a good team worker.
It is important that you can demonstrate your passion for technology specifically around software. You need to be familiar with how computers, tablets and mobiles work from a software perspective.
The software industry is a fast moving industry with new technologies emerging all the time therefore you must be able to quickly learn and adopt new technologies.
It is also very important to be able to commit to obtain an apprenticeship through attending study days when required and completing related work. At the end of the scheme you will have gained an Degree Apprenticeship in Digital and Technology Solutions at Level 6.
You will be based at our new location at MediaCityUK, Salford. When you've completed your apprenticeship, you'll not only have had invaluable work experience to help you get started in your career, but you'll also have a chance to apply for a permanent position at the BBC.