BBC StoryWorks is the commercial content studio of BBC Global News. We build on the BBC’s award-winning expertise in creating compelling film and video, thought-provoking written journalism, and innovative digital content, and our instinctive ability to seek out stories that capture audiences’ attention and inspire people across the globe.
Our team works with commercial partners to create engaging and compelling content campaigns designed with the BBC's desirable American and global audience in mind. Our custom content solutions amplify advertisers’ key messaging strategies while aligning with passion-driven BBC.com News and Features brands including BBC Worklife, BBC Culture, BBC Future, BBC Travel, BBC Sport, and Top Gear. In addition, we enable sponsorships of our world-class editorial output, creating an alignment for our partners with the BBC’s trusted editorial voice.
The Creative Director for BBC StoryWorks Americas is a senior leadership role that will help drive the creative voice and strategy for all content partnerships in North and South America, reporting into the Vice President of BBC StoryWorks Americas. This role will provide managerial support and mentorship to a skilled team of creative strategists and editors, help lead key content-driven business development initiatives alongside our regional sales team, and preserve a standard of best-in-class ideation of large-scale multi-platform content programs for our partners. This role will ultimately be responsible for developing and maintaining an overarching creative vision and consistent quality control of all content output for BBC StoryWorks Americas.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned expert in creative strategy and branded content within the publishing and/or creative agency fields, with a minimum 3-5 years proven experience managing and motivating a team. Experience in journalism is also a plus. We’re looking for someone with a knack for creative brainstorming rooted in audience insights and a deep understanding of client needs, excellent communication and presentation skills, and a strong passion for innovative storytelling.
Responsibilities will include:
- Setting the creative vision for all content marketing programs with BBC Global News advertising partners in the Americas to ensure that all published content effectively engages our partners’ target audience and adheres to the high quality standards of the BBC brand.
- Managing and mentoring a team of skilled creative strategists, fostering growth and development for all team members.
- Oversee flow of pre-sale operations (creative analysis framework, cross-departmental collaborations with editorial, sales, and operations) across the BBC StoryWorks Americas content studio.
- Represent BBC StoryWorks in market as a senior authority on the BBC brand and BBC StoryWorks solutions and offerings, able to readily lead client meetings on the fly, developing category and market expertise to be shared across the team and the business.
- Act as a trusted senior partner to Sales leadership, working together to optimize collaboration between teams and providing expertise on best practices for creative strategy and content development.
- Act as a trusted senior partner to Editorial leadership, working together to optimize collaboration between teams and providing expertise on best practices for sponsorship program development.
The Ideal Candidate
- Extensive (5+ years) experience in digital content operations and production, including time at a digital publisher or branded content studio.
- Minimum 3+ years managerial experience.
- Strong client-facing background and presentation skills are a must.
- Background in journalism/editorial teams a plus.
- Expertise in the application of innovative digital storytelling products and platforms to reach audiences and effectively communicate client messages.
- Strong creative thinking framework, with expertise in driving creative storytelling strategies using data and insights.
- Knowledge of social media promotional strategies and other digital distribution tactics and ad networks.
- Familiarity with digital content analytics tools (such as Comscore, Google Analytics, etc.)
- An ability to work quickly in a high-pressure environment.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills.
- A great sense of humor, self-motivation, and the ability to positively motivate a team of skilled professionals.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here