BBC Software Engineering Graduate Trainee Scheme
About the scheme
To get the most from your career you need the very best opportunities and the BBC Software Engineering Trainee Scheme offers just that. This popular scheme, now in its sixth successful year, offers the unique chance do something genuinely special – making things that are enjoyed by millions. Almost everyone in the UK spends time with BBC content each week and it feels great to be part of something that reaches so many people.
Our two-year scheme enables you to experience four different areas of BBC Design & Engineering, working on any of our dynamic products and services, so you can be confident of finding something that fits you perfectly. During your four 6-month rotations you will become experienced in many different languages and methodologies, getting the chance to work on a variety of platforms, from an iOS app to developing scalable code on Amazon Web Services. You'll also receive lots of relevant training from our award-winning in-house training facility and be working alongside some of the industry’s best senior developers and product specialists in a positive, friendly environment.
The Ideal Candidate
What’s on offer
• a starting salary of £22,489 (MediaCityUK Manchester) and £27,049 (London), with an increase in your second year
• a comprehensive training programme covering many technologies and agile team skills
• experience of working on some of the world's best software applications in an exciting environment
• attendance at industry and academic events – all whilst learning how we make the best television and radio programmes in the world
• 25 days’ holiday per year
• eligibility to join the BBC pension scheme, employee discount scheme, cycle-to-work scheme and travel season ticket scheme
Places are available in MediaCityUK Manchester and London. You will be asked to state your preferred location on your application. If you don't state a preferred location we may invite you to any location for your assessment.
About the Company
About BBC Design & Engineering
We deliver products, platforms and services globally, supporting the BBC's digital transformation and helping to change the BBC into an internet fit broadcaster. Our software engineers are at the very heart of this transformation and as a Software Engineering graduate you will work on our most innovative and popular digital products, including BBC News and Sport apps and of course BBC iPlayer, our pioneering on-demand service. You will learn and use a vast array of technologies, including:
- Amazon Web Services (including AWS Lambda, DynamoDB, S3 and EC2)
- HTML5/CSS3 (including preprocessors, such as Sass)
- Java and Objective C
- PHP and Scala
- Ruby (including Rails, Cucumber)
- Traditional and NoSQL databases (MarkLogic, MongoDB, Redis)
At the BBC we view equality and diversity as a creative opportunity to embrace, respond to and be relevant to the totality of the UK’s audiences. Our culture values individuals and embraces diversity.
BBC graduate schemes have been voted 10th in The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers, the definitive annual guide to Britain’s most sought-after and prestigious graduate employers. Thank you for voting for us!