BBC Studioworks is a commercial subsidiary of the BBC providing studios and post-production services to all the major TV broadcasters and production companies including the BBC, ITV, Sky, Channel 4, Channel 5 and the Endemol Shine Group.
Located across sites in Elstree and Television Centre in White City, our facilities are home to some of the nation’s most watched and loved television shows. We offer world-class studio and post-production spaces, equip them with the right technology and engage the most dedicated and talented people in the industry. By doing this, we bring shows to life.
With an ambitious growth strategy over the next five years we are looking to recruit the role of a Commercial Director who will lead BBC Studioworks through our commercial landscape and drive the short and long-term commercial performance of the company. Specifically, the Commercial Director will:
- Constantly seek ways to improve performance and exceed annual revenue and profit targets via optimal pricing and partnership strategies'
- Determine and deliver the optimal structure, processes, performance measures, incentives, and culture of the commercial team to maximise performance.
- Have a deep understanding of our customers’ long-term needs and identify new opportunities – likely from senior-level relationships with commissioners and key producers – in order to drive a consistent growth trajectory and open the doors for further advancement.
- Grow the skills and capabilities of five members of staff through coaching, training & development and effective feedback.
- Be the brand guardian for BBC Studioworks, managing all brand and comms touch points internally and externally.
- Deliver the annual revenue and profit targets.
- Lead our senior level relationships with key producers and commissioners.
- Develop an annual commercial strategy for the business, use current and future based market intelligence to constantly challenge and review the way we operate to drive value in the business.
- Lead and develop the marketing and comms function and annual strategy.
- Keep a finger on the pulse of the industry. Demonstrating an acute understanding of the market to the board including macro and micro trends and advising which areas of the market to explore in greater depth
- Lead and develop our people and advocate cultural change.
The Ideal Candidate
At BBC Studioworks, we seek people who are passionate about who we are and what we do.
As a leader, you’ll be an accomplished strategist demonstrating exemplary project management, sharp attention to detail and an instinct for negotiation with excellent numerical and analytical skills. You’ll have experience of managing teams, excelling in sales and participating in business development initiatives, as well as being skilled in marketing and market research. You’ll possess a growth mindset and demonstrate passion to expand the company’s commercial activity that will generate revenues and promote sustainable growth.
As a key contributor to the strategic direction of the company, you’ll join the dots between commercial goals, people and culture, demonstrating the ability to balance long and short-term goals, with a focus on delivery and accountability. In addition, you’ll operate as a high-profile external liaison and representative, working within BBC Group and with external partnerships. You’ll form long-term partnerships with organisations and innovative thinkers, keeping abreast of developments in their field and responding to the demands of the commercial environment. You’ll possess a collaborative and empathetic communication style, and have the ability to adjust your approach and style genuinely to gain stakeholder buy in.
You’ll be comfortable thinking at 30,000 ft and then getting stuck in and operating on the ground. You’ll respond flexibly to new challenges and share the Studioworks vision with passion and clarity, demonstrating resilience and engendering trust and understanding.
Extensive upper management experience in a commercial, comms or marketing capacity would be preferred. Media industry experience is desirable and not essential.
Band: Leadership role
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Elstree, Borehamwood & Television Centre, W12
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here