Bilingual Reporter - Abuja
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. The BBC is the world leader in broadcast newsgathering at the forefront of both the range of editorial coverage and technological innovation.
BBC Africa newsgathering provides news reports, pictures and audio material to all BBC News programmes and services – for Africa, the UK and internationally - in English and other languages, including Hausa. It is crucial that our spoken and written content in both English and Hausa is of the highest possible editorial and technical standard, which in turn provides the best value for money for BBC audiences around the world.
We are looking for a creative and versatile Reporter who will be based in Abuja and will sit alongside a team of talented multimedia Journalists
- To originate, select stories and provide expert news coverage and analysis for broadcast, fully observing BBC Editorial Guidelines
- To pitch original stories with both TV and digital treatments, making sure that they work for online, social and TV platforms
- To act within the framework of overall BBC coverage, especially by Reporters and Producers in the region working for BBC Newsgathering; to maintain co-operative relations and ensure coverage forms part of a coherent overall offer
- To provide a variety of content in English and Hausa, often with tight deadlines
Are you the right candidate?
• Outstanding level of spoken and written English and Hausa
• Excellent skills in both TV and Radio scripting and presentation
• Demonstrated ability to identify strong and distinctive stories
• Recent and relevant experience as a TV Reporter and/or Journalist, both in originating material and editing the work of others with a thorough knowledge of national and international affairs
Contract: Permanent - Full time
Local terms and conditions apply
Location: Abuja - Nigeria
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Africa.
About the BBC
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here