Bilingual Reporter, Africa TV
As part of the World Service Language Services, BBC Africa newsgathering teams provide news reports, pictures and audio material from Africa to all BBC News programmes and services - both in the UK and internationally - in English and other languages. This content is of the highest possible editorial and technical standard, which in turn provides the best value for money for BBC audiences around the world. BBC Africa newsgathering teams have to ensure that in the face of increasing competition, BBC News is the world leader in newsgathering and is at the forefront of both its editorial coverage and technological innovation in broadcasting and digital services.
You will also be called upon to support editorial teams across Africa w2020.
This would be a fantastic development attachment opportunity for an internal candidate who seeks exposure to a role of this nature and has right to work in Tanzania.
You will provide quality, informative programmes and reports in English and Kiswahili for BBC Television, Radio and Digital news programmes.
You will report on all aspects of national political, economic and cultural life in Tanzania and East Africa and potentially travelling across the region. You will stay well briefed on the region in order to report and comment with authority, reporting in both English and Kiswahili.
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience as a Reporter/Journalist including reporting assignments abroad.
- Notable TV experience
- An excellent level of spoken and written and broadcast English and Kiswahili.
- Experience of reporting on live/breaking news.
- Knowledge of the key editorial and audience priorities for the range of global and UK output.
- Sound knowledge of Tanzania including political, economic and security developments in the region.
- A thorough knowledge of the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines.
- A highly developed news and current affairs judgement.
- A thorough understanding of the output of BBC News in English and Kiswahili.
- A thorough understanding of the range of platforms and formats.
- A high level of editorial awareness and judgement.
Contract: 1 x 3 month fixed term contract/development attachment
Local terms and conditions apply.
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Tanzania
About the BBC
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here