Bitesize is the BBC's flagship digital education service, with over 20 years experience of delivering quality curriculum-mapped education online.
Our mission is to help all children in the UK reach their full potential, learning every day in their own way.
We have massive impact - Bitesize has regularly reached over 2 million unique UK visitors during term time weeks. This year (like no other), we rose to the challenge of home schooling during Covid-19 with Bitesize Daily, our biggest ever education push - and we're experiencing year-on-year growth. However, we know that we can always do more for Children, Parents and Teachers.
As part of the newly-formed Children’s and Education department, the Bitesize full-stack development teams build scalable back-end services (using Node, GraphQL, AWS) as well as responsive front ends in React.
It's an exciting time to join the team as we've ambitious plans for Bitesize in the future - and are entering into a period of fresh expansion.
How we work
In BBC Children’s and Education we build our products following Continuous Delivery practices on AWS, with a strong focus on Node.JS. Builds run with fully automated build pipelines - using Jenkins - deploying to live multiple times a day.
We perform automated (Cypress, Backstop, nightwatch.js) and manual testing to ensure that our fully responsive web solutions and associated back-end services deliver an excellent experience for our audience across a wide range of devices and browsers.
Testers are fully integrated in our agile development teams and processes, and are involved from planning and initiation through to live deployment. The Tester’s role is to understand and influence early on in order to prevent bugs and to help ensure that we consistently deliver quality software.
We excel at collaboration and often work closely with other test teams in the BBC and external companies to push our capabilities further.
As a Tester you will be expected to:
- Have an enthusiasm for Education and Learning for all levels
- Have a good knowledge of software testing best practices
- Have a desire and ability to learn quickly, keep up to date with the latest testing tools and techniques and propose and lead process improvement initiatives
- Ensure that high value is achieved from Test automation relative to the investment made.
- Evaluate existing solutions and build new tools to support delivery
- Create and manage our Test Data, stubs and harnesses.
- Validate the system as a whole to ensure it delivers the business requirements and benefit, reporting status against schedule.
- Have an ability and willingness to determine when to automate tests
The Ideal Candidate
The Ideal Candidate will have:
- A very good knowledge of software testing best practices
- A desire and ability to learn quickly, keep up to date with the latest testing tools and techniques and propose and lead process improvement initiatives
- Excellent communication and influencing skills with both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Great testing skills and experience of testing cloud-hosted web applications and associated backend services
- Hands-on experience of different web automation testing tools and frameworks (preferably JS based)
- A good understanding of when and how to test automation as part of the overall test approach
- Experience of working in a highly collaborative, Agile development team
Contract type: Permanent
Location: UK flexible
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here