BBC World Service is an international multimedia broadcaster, part of BBC News, delivering a wide range of language and regional services and working increasingly with other parts of BBC News to serve global audiences. It uses multiple platforms to reach its weekly audience of 320 million globally, including TV, digital platforms including social media, AM, FM, shortwave, digital satellite and cable channels.
As part of an historic and exciting expansion the BBC World Service is expanding its language services serving audiences in 12 new languages. All Language Services are multiplatform, with a multimedia website with a focus on digital video, text, interactivity for both desktop and mobile platforms, and a daily TV news programmes for each service.
1. To research, interview original sources and write reports, analysis and features for the BBC Afaan Oromo website in a range of formats.
2. To help produce and/or present the BBC’s live radio programme.
3. To respond to breaking stories whilst on air and to resolve technical difficulties.
4. To create content to drive the BBC Facebook page and other social media platforms.
5. To be able to conduct interviews in audio and video on request, on phone or face-to-face, with authority and in-depth knowledge about the region.
6. To ensure that all output material for which the post holder is responsible meets the standards required by the BBC.
7. To use journalistic skills and experience to suggest new angles on existing stories, means of moving the story on, and to put forward stories not yet covered.
8. To use editorial skills as appropriate to edit, write and adapt the material for the outputs on Facebook and other relevant platforms as required whilst maintaining professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and fair dealing and adhering to the BBC’s Producers guidelines.
9. To create material for all multimedia outputs, including text stories, audio bulletins and – with appropriate training – video reports for both BBC Afaan Oromo online and Facebook or other social media platforms
10. To ensure that BBC Editorial principles of balance and impartiality and all relevant legal, contractual and copyright requirements are met, referring upwards in cases of difficulty or doubt.
11. To build and maintain links with other areas of the BBC, including BBC World Service Online and BBC News, to enable the efficient production of content.
The Ideal Candidate
1. A full command and up to date knowledge of written and spoken Afaan Oromo.
2. A good knowledge of English, including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
3. Wide and up to date familiarity with the target area and an in-depth understanding of its history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of the audience.
4. Recent and relevant experience as a journalist and/or reporter would be preferable but not essential.
5. Ability to write, adapt and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of social media.
6. A good broadcasting voice and the ability to acquire an appropriate presentation.
7. Able to demonstrate a good range of contacts for interview purposes from all walks of life.
8. Good keyboard/computer skills and the ability to acquire technical skills and to operate technical equipment. Practical experience and extensive knowledge of the Internet and an understanding of the potential of new technology is essential.
9. A thorough knowledge and understanding of news and current affairs in the target area as well as a good knowledge of and interest in, international and regional affairs.
10. A thorough
Grade: Local Terms and Conditions Apply.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.