The BBC World Service is embarking on an exciting journey with unprecedented investment in digital content for Africa and your role will be critical to us in meeting our ambitions.
At the BBC, we believe our mission is to inform, educate and connect the audiences from Africa to the rest of the world. BBC Igbo digital service aims to deliver our journalism in a lively and engaging fashion, with a focus on interactivity and the promotion of content on social media and across all platforms. As one of our video journalist you’ll have a crucial role in leading our engagement with the audience. By joining BBC Igbo, you’ll be a part of the new team including Yoruba and PIdgin, will serve our audiences in Nigeria and West Africa. They will be based in Lagos, working alongside our operation in Abuja from where the BBC currently produces its Hausa service output. There is a strong emphasis on reaching and connecting with young audiences.
- Work with other members of the Igbo and Nigeria team, and the wider BBC Africa newsroom, to identify and produce creative and innovative video news content.
- To originate innovative formats for BBC Igbo social media posts best suited for each social network, including Facebook and Instagram and optimize these formats using social analytics and then champion the use of successful formats across the team.
- Re-version BBC material with a mobile audience in mind.
- To create multimedia content for publication on social media and the BBC Igbo mobile audiences, as appropriate and to the required specification whilst maintaining professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and adhering to the BBC's Editorial guidelines.
- Research, storyboard and produce stories.
- Create headlines and video teasers to promote our stories and reach to as wide an audience as
- Contribute ideas and angles to meetings on how to cover the main news of the day.
- To show visual creativity in the use of pictures and graphics to illustrate and explain fast-moving
events and complex stories.
- You may be required to travel off base on short reporting trips and assignments.
The Ideal Candidate
You'll be a creative and versatile journalist, with a strong understanding of what makes good digital video and how video is consumed on digital platforms. We're looking for producer who is passionate evangelist about digital storytelling. As the digital landscape is changing you would need to be as nimble as the technologies.
You will need sound editorial judgement, understanding Africa news agenda, ability to tell complex stories in an engaging way, sharp editing skills and the ability respond to breaking news. You will be adept with technology, quickly pick up new skills and turn ideas into engaging storytelling. All candidates will be expected to demonstrate a clear understanding of digital platforms as well as video editing skills.
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Grade: Local Terms & Conditions
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.