BBC Studios is a global creative powerhouse for the development, production and distribution of bold, British, content. We produce over 2,500 hours of content per year, operate in 22 markets globally and generate revenue of £1.4bn, returning around £200m profit to BBC Public Service broadcaster each year. BBC Studios is renowned for the quality of its Scripted output, delivering successful returning series such as “Luther”, “Dr Who”, “Silent Witness”, “Our Girl”, “Inside Number 9” and “Still Open All Hours” as well as one-off series such as BAFTA award winning “Three Girls” and iconic long running continuing dramas such as Eastenders and Holby City. It is an exciting time for BBC Studios where we are now, as a commercial subsidiary of the BBC Group, making content for commissioners other than the BBC. We are constantly looking for new opportunities to enable audiences to continue to enjoy their favourite BBC programmes and brands as well as introduce new and exciting BBC Studios content. We work hard to achieve this aim, fostering relationships with the best creative talent and establishing strong connections with a wide variety of platforms and commissioners, through a range of partnerships and in multiple formats.
We have an exciting new opportunity for a Business Partner to join the BBC Studios team.
At BBC Studios our people are at the heart of everything we do, and as such this role will be responsible for ensuring that the HR function is delivering to plan. This includes creating HR functional priorities and objectives, running regular prioritisation exercises, agenda planning and management, preparing scripts/speeches, Board papers, and other documents in conjunction with the HRD and other members of Senior Team.
Reporting to the HRD, this is an influential role within the HR function, and with key senior stakeholders. You will be expected to work closely with the People Leadership team to action the HR strategy. You will act as a connector between the HRD, management team and C-Suite level at BBC Studios and, inspire them to think differently and challenge where appropriate.
The role will be responsible for ensuring that the HR function is delivering to plan. This includes creating HR functional priorities and objectives, running regular prioritization exercises, agenda planning and management, preparing scripts/speeches, Board papers, and other documents in conjunction with the HRD and other members of his Senior Team.
Working with the HRD, this role offers broad exposure to business strategy and entrepreneurship that that will prepare the candidate for numerous leadership roles in the future.
We are putting people first, the market is changing fast and it's only through great people that we can step up the pace of change fast enough to beat it.
To join the team and help us deliver our exciting and ambitious people agenda, as Business Partner you will empower the HR team to deliver their organisational ambitions around culture, inclusion and leadership; helping us to make BBC Studios an amazing place to work.
This is an opportunity to join a fast paced HR team through a period of growth and change. As Business Partner, you will be working closely with the HRD and CEO on delivering the people strategy and influence change across the whole organisation.
You will get to work on a wide range of day to day operational issues and projects, including diversity and inclusion and with C-suite leaders. This role is quite autonomous, and is an amazing opportunity to take the people first strategy and lead on cultural change across the whole of BBC Studios.
This position sits at the heart of decision-making which influences the BBC Studios people first objectives. We are a creative, innovative team drawing on data, insight and business development priorities, to help advise BBC Studios leadership on the evolution of strategic roadmaps.
You will shape, lead, support and project manage strategic progress.
Gatekeeping and prioritisation:
- Monitor information flow, act as a gatekeeper, ensuring HRD’s involvement in a project or decision-making process at the right moment
- Prioritisation for People Leadership Team/ Studios Executive Team, and other commitments on the HRDs time and required activities for the function
- Act as a point of contact or gatekeeper between HRD and PLT, and other stakeholders
- Manage key governance and risk management activities on behalf of the HRD to ensure the effective running of the function
- Benchmarking and understanding the external Market they will support the HRD in understanding key trends and opportunities, offering advice and insight across a host of issues. Acting as a strong voice and partner to the HRD
Day to day special projects:
- Assist the HRD in day to day responsibilities, ensuring coordination of cross-functional activity, for example building on the HR Strategy and forming it into the HR functional priorities and plan, preparing scripts/speeches, Board papers, and other documents.
- Lead and support initiatives and special projects on behalf of the HRD or PLT, including facilitation, trouble-shooting stakeholder management and decision making.
Facilitate external and group relationships:
- Develop strategic relationships with, providers, suppliers and other strategic business partners
- Provide external relationship management, including internal and external representation when needed
- Drive the cultivation of new and ongoing external relationships, working with external affairs/communications experts, to ensure that the necessary relationships have the appropriate link to HRD
The Ideal Candidate
With substantial proven experience in business strategy, you'll be comfortable with qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
You will be comfortable dealing with senior level stakeholders and will have had significant experience of managing projects.
You will be a structured, analytical thinker who is comfortable with ambiguity. Able to work collaboratively with others, and build compelling narratives to help our colleagues understand key issues and guide decision making.
The successful candidate will have the ability to develop strategic analysis that influences decision makers, and build successful relationships with key stakeholders internally and externally to help drive results. The individual should have strong project management skills to support driving cross group or function initiatives.
You will nurture professional and positive relationships with colleagues at all levels, and with senior external contacts and partners to support the achievement of objectives. And will ensure that they understand activities and key drivers across the HR Team.
You will have an excellent understanding of the importance of people, and the key value drivers of the HR Function on company performance.
This role will often operate in an ambiguous environment, with minimal supervision, and thus must possess strong personal drive and self-motivation.
The candidate should have the following background:
- Prior experience in strategy, management consulting, or broad functional experience.
- Experience in coordinating, implementing and/or managing complex, diverse programs and functions for a very diverse department. Project management and portfolio management experience in determining priorities and delivering projects on time and within budget.
- Capable of directing teams and external consultants on specific projects as required
- Ability to review functional performance and delivery and recommend appropriate expert advice
- Proven knowledge, accountability, and comprehension skills to formulate strategic planning and prioritisation of projects, programs and activities, using sound judgement while meeting organisational skills
- Capable of engaging in complex discussions and negotiations
Diversity of thought and experience is important to the make up of our teams at BBC Studios and we welcome applications from individuals who champion and showcase this.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, W12 (Remote working)
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here