This exciting and highly responsible role drives the daily, weekly, monthly rhythm of Design & Engineering. It is the lynchpin that holds together all the activity carried out across the division.
It is a key role in the CTO’s leadership team and leads the day to day management of running D&E with particular responsibility for Process, Governance, Budget, Resourcing, Strategy and Change. It acts as the key point of contact between D&E and the Professional Services functions (HR, Finance, Workplace, IC and Strategy.)
The purpose of the COO role is to lead and co-ordinate all the ‘internal business activities’ within BBC D&E, as well as being a leader and advocate for D&E amongst the wider BBC operational community. As a member of the D&E Group Board, the COO provides operational leadership to ensure:
- D&E is running effectively and efficiently
- Delivery of the commitments in the BBC Online Service Licence
- Maintenance of an efficient and effective decision-making structure for D&E, and where appropriate, across the BBC’s digital business units
- BBC’s Executive Board, Finance Committee and the Trust are kept across the development and progress of the D&E division and that suitable permissions are sought as and when necessary
- D&E led governance groups are effective and efficient
- Accurate business planning and prioritisation processes for D&E and across the BBC’s digital businesses, including objective setting, annual planning, and performance reviews
As an integral part of the D&E leadership team the COO is the clear and accountable owner for all the business functions that underpin D&E:
- Budget: management, reporting, tracking, forecasting and annual budget process – working with individual teams to build budgets and track spend.
- Process : documentation and communication of the business processes in place to run D&E
- Governance : establishing effective governance within D&E and interfacing with the governance frameworks within the wider BBC
- Reporting : establishing KPIs, reporting cycle, defining inputs / outputs, ensuring timeliness, ensuring effectiveness. Working with colleagues to ensure they understand their part in the reporting cycle and that they fulfil the reporting needs of D&E
- Ways of working and culture change : leading the effort across D&E to improve the working environment, capitalise on existing good practises and eliminate bad practises.
- Resources : oversight of how D&E uses its resources - optimisation, forecasting
- Talent : overall business accountability for the D&E talent pool – ensuring the business has the right skills, at the right level to meet the demand – working with individual teams to achieve this.
- PMO function : ensuring PMO function across D&E is fit for purpose and adheres to BBC standards
- Stakeholder engagement : ensuring appropriate plans and process in place to engage D&E stakeholder
- Co-ordination of effort across D&E and arbitration when necessary. Monitoring and manage dependencies
The Ideal Candidate
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to motivate and inspire a large, distributed team to consistently deliver quality services
- Be future focused able to make strategic decisions and deliver capabilities ahead of business requirements as well as in response to them
- Broad understanding of and ability to engage specialists over a wide ranging operating landscape
- Strong commercial acumen and supplier management capabilities
- Gravitas to engage and challenge other new D&E division Board members and key stakeholders across the BBC’s content divisions
- Be an effective relationship builder and able to manage natural tensions – they must be able to work across organisational boundaries and offer a broad and balanced perspective when discussing strategic ideas
- Ability to lead a large team, developing talent and a high-performance culture
- Ability to remain confident and assured in difficult circumstances, with proven resilience and stamina to sustain performance when under continuous pressure
- Operationally proficient with evidence of ability to manage substantial budgets and complex processes involving multiple stakeholders
- Keep abreast of industry trends, competitor activity & performance and best practice, incorporating new ideas and establishing a high performance culture
- Financially literate and able to confidently operate a £100m+ budget
- Articulate, and literate – able to express complex concepts both verbally and written down
- Knowledge of the key principles underpinning the business, commissioning and administrative process of Journalism, Television, Information & Archives and Radio
- Extensive senior management experience, interfacing with C-suite and board level executives, with a proven track record in shaping and driving delivery of technology and / or broadcast operations or in an industry of similar scale and complexity.
- Have extensive and relevant knowledge of broadcast engineering and broadcast digital landscape
- Experience of and capability to lead a large scale, diverse service organisation
- Proven track record in managing key governance and regulatory processes to equip you as the prime representative of the BBC with internal and external stakeholders.
- Breadth of experience of working within complex functions with extensive exposure to successfully managing conflicting priorities.
- A strategic thinker with experience of successfully influencing and directing strategic development in a complex stakeholder environment
- Substantial experience of leading change projects at scale in a large and complex matrix environment.
- Repeated experience of building external relationships and partnerships with organisations outside the BBC.
- Acting as the BBC’s representative at industry events and initiative
Dependent on Experience
12 month Attachment or Fixed Term Contract to cover maternitylLeave
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
Please click through on the PDF's below to learn more about the BBC Values and also a full copy of the Job Description