The Global Children’s Publishing Manager will be responsible for the development, launch, and ongoing management of all children’s publishing within BBCS.
The role will work with all the key publishers on a territory, regional and global level to manage and coordinate the development of publishing content. The role also requires effective ongoing management of the publishing programme from a brand, marketing, licensing and commercial perspective.
The publishing programme will be required to balance the commercial expectations of the key stakeholders whilst capturing the brand values of the licensed property. As a part of that process there will need to be a close working relationship with studios and creator to manage the development process to ensure alignment of expectations.
In addition, the role requires collaboration with both the licensing departments and brand & marketing departments to ensure that publishing is effectively integrated into the broader licensing and marketing programme.
- Ensuring that the publishing programme achieves best in class status, through range planning, product excellence and competitor analysis
- Project manage the creative approval process from initial proposal/concept/range plan through to approving pre-production samples to ensure all products meet specification and that where necessary stakeholders internal and external are in agreement before product is released.
- Provide a best in class product development process to our publishing partners that helps drive an industry leading publishing programme
- Where necessary mediate between partners and key stakeholders – notably the studios to ensure that we always meet and exceed both market needs and design needs.
- Be prepared to offer technical and commercial context to key stakeholders – notably studios
- Drive product innovation and imagination across the range at all times. Offer inspiration through a deep understanding of the brand and a thorough knowledge of the licensing programme, retail markets and the competitive environment
- Actively evaluate product development needs of the publishing partners and coordinate the planning and development of additional assets from the studios or other agencies as required
- Demonstrate full awareness of the competitive landscape (licensors, licensees, processes, industry) ensuring that we are considered as a business that strives to set the benchmark on Product Development.
- Develop range architectures based on a sound understanding of the market place, margin requirements and pricing. Have a full understanding of the challenges facing our retailers and partners and develop solutions to overcome these and communicate accordingly
- Working closely with the publishing partners as well as the licensing and brand/marketing divisions to develop a publishing strategy the drives brand engagement, meets the commercial needs of key stakeholders and offers long term growth opportunities
- Develop publishing programmes that align with the licensing roll out strategies in each of the regions and territories
- Ensure that our global publishing partners are doing everything possible to drive engagement outside their key markets
- Coordinate with licensing/agents/ retail/ marketing teams to fully maximise the benefit of the brand strength and the regional trends
- Coordinate with licensing to ensure potential promotional partnerships across other categories are maximised – notably cross category retail promotions
- Communicate routinely and effectively with the BBCS departments (product development, marketing, TV production content sales, regional licensing teams)
The Ideal Candidate
At BBC Studios, we seek people who are passionate about who we are and what we do.
- The successful person will have a sold publishing background
- They will be seasoned at developing a product end to end (from “flat-pack to shelf”)
- They will have solid asset management experience
- Pre-school experience is advantageous
Location: TVC, London
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more. (UK centric)
About the Company
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background. We strive to be the best British content company in the world, attracting the best creative talents in the business, so that we can bring premium quality award-winning programmes, content and brands to the viewer no matter where they are.
The BBC Group has set out the first in a new series of bold steps to transform our programming and better represent the public we serve. We have the biggest financial investment to on-air inclusion in the industry, together with our existing commissioning budget, we are committed to throwing open our doors more widely than ever to diverse stories and diverse storytellers. Together with a diverse workforce we will accelerate the pace of change in increasing diversity and inclusion both on and off air
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please visit our website.