Commercial Manager (Distribution Manager) - Carriage
Help shape the future of the BBC....
The BBC has been at the cutting edge of media for almost 100 years. The BBC brand is one of the most popular and trusted in the UK and around the world. The BBC reaches well over 9 in 10 UK adults each week via its TV, radio and online services.
BBC Distribution & Business Development’s Carriage team is at the heart of defining how, in a rapidly changing media landscape, audiences will be discovering and using BBC content through the next decade.
The team holds the BBC’s syndication relationships with global technology companies such as Google, Apple and Amazon as well as all the global equipment manufacturers and the TV platforms working in the UK.
We manage and plan the distribution of the BBC’s services on new and emerging digital platforms, working at the intersection of media, technology, business and strategy. This role provides an extraordinary environment to learn and develop your career.
This is an opportunity to work at one of the world’s greatest brands, helping us partner with the most innovative and popular manufacturers and platforms, work with cutting-edge creatives and technologists – and help reinvent broadcasting for the next generation.
- Manage external partner relationships including acting as account director.
- Negotiate and close deals within these organisations for the carriage and syndication of BBC linear and non-linear services.
- Lead the management of internal relationships (with content, technical and other areas) relating to syndication and carriage of BBC services.
- Lead on coordination between product teams and one or more external relationships with BBC joint ventures – Digital UK, Freesat, Radio Player and YouView.
- Identify opportunities for the BBC to partner with external companies. Direct potential partners to appropriate decision makers based on alignment with BBC’s goals and purposes.
- Handle contracts and legal agreements such as syndication agreements, software licences, SDKs, identifying key areas of opportunity and risk for the BBC.
- Provide reports and associated research (with suggested strategic direction) on specific companies and market sectors, using internal and external resources. Present such reports internally where necessary.
- Maintain a key awareness of new opportunities and developments in the media, broadcast and new media sectors and highlight these to decision makers within BBC output divisions.
- Build and maintain database of key contacts across the technology, media and telco sectors.
- Establish and nurture relationships within UK new media industry for the purposes of informing BBC strategy and policies.
- Manage and organize a key BBC decision-making meeting, maintaining good governance and communications. Lead on metadata carriage agreements with metadata aggregators, handling contracts and acting as an expert how BBC systems interact with external organisations.
Are you the right candidate?
- BE CONFIDENT – Enjoy presenting business cases and ideas to senior executives.
- BE ANALYTICAL – Able to understand and articulate the implications of a range of strategies from the perspective of the BBC and the licence fee payer.
- BE COLLABORATIVE – Work closely with internal teams and external organisations to find innovative solutions
- BE INFLUENTIAL – Know how to influence people, build trusted business relationships and work with people at all levels of an organisation, both inside and outside the BBC.
- ENJOY NEGOTIATING – Be comfortable working with lawyers, contracts and negotiating complex deals.
If a role like this at an organisation like the BBC appeals, then click on the link and apply today.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London W12
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here