We are seeking an experienced legal and business affairs executive to join our Commercial, Rights and Business Affairs team, supporting Design & Engineering (D+E).
This is a job share role for 21 hours/3 days a week Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. This role is offered as a six month fixed term contract, with potential to extend and is a London-based role with potential for some flexibility.
In order to support the Director General’s ambition aims for the BBC’s next chapter, CRBA is undergoing a period of significant and transformative change, and has identified a critical need to develop, drive and enable digital thinking and innovation across the whole of the BBC.
In its connecting role across the BBC, Commercial, Rights and Business Affairs (CRBA) supports D+E to conduct research and development and to create and bring to market new and innovative products and services, and to procure and advise on digital products and services. This requires new partnerships, frameworks and licensing arrangements and services agreements, which in turn means we need business affairs executives with a good understanding of the digital, technology, legal, content and media markets.
CRBA ensures the BBC acquires, creates and distributes intellectual property to maximise audience value and commercial return in an increasingly digital, global and competitive marketplace. CRBA brings together all parts of the BBC to put in place platform or carriage deals, clear archive rights, negotiate deals with independents or strike programme investment deals. Innovation is at the heart of CRBA – supporting the BBC in creating new products and bringing them to market, building new partnerships, and establishing joint ventures for major content.
The BBC is committed to redeploying employees seeking suitable alternative employment within the BBC for different reasons and they will be given priority consideration ahead of other applicants. Priority consideration means for those employees seeking redeployment their application will be considered alongside anyone else at risk of redundancy, prior to any individuals being considered who are not at risk.
We are able to offer exciting opportunities for a CRBA Executive with digital and technology experience to work supporting the BBC’s digital products and services and R&D and innovation. We are looking for someone with a strong track record and proven ability to support current and emerging digital products and services, negotiate partnerships and collaborations, license our digital assets and technology to other organisations, procure digital services from technology suppliers and negotiate with emerging technology partners. Innovation, data, personalisation and data privacy are central and critical to our work.
You will be working alongside a team of CRBA Managers (lawyers) providing comprehensive legal and business affairs support on a variety of transactional deals, and providing advice across a range of legal matters including contract law, intellectual property rights, regulatory and policy compliance, procurement, licensing, data protection and privacy issues.
You will provide general assistance to the team, offering advice on the more straightforward day to day issues and referring to one of the CRBA Managers (lawyers), or other BBC internal departments as necessary. You will be responsible for drafting and negotiating a variety of agreements (mainly based on existing precedents but with some more complex or bespoke drafting as required), including Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs). You will manage the logging, tracking and execution of the team’s agreements to help ensure all paperwork is completed and filed electronically, kept up to date, and meets compliance requirements.
The Ideal Candidate
We are seeking an individual with legal and commercial experience and with:
- Proven experience in managing a variety of contract and legal documents in the broadcast, digital media, innovation and technology markets.
- Knowledge and relevant experience of contract, IP and IT and data protection considerations for digital products and services.
- Experience in drafting legal and business documents, including an ability to write clearly and concisely using a tone of voice suitable for non-legal stakeholders.
- Strong organisational and administrative skills, with a good attention to detail combined with effective time-management and prioritising skills, and with ability to manage a demanding workload effectively and meet deadlines.
- Strong computer literacy skills (including Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel) and a proven ability to take responsibility for contract and supplier databases and administration.
- A level of understanding of consumer digital technology and interest/familiarity that may include streaming video services, social media, mobile, personalisation, e-analytics, application development, software as a service, artificial intelligence/machine learning and data management.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and experience of dealing with both internal and external clients.
- Team-focused with a collaborative approach, positive attitude, curious mind and willingness to learn as well as a willingness to simplify our contracting processes and templates and keep them up to date.
This is a job share role.
Contract type: Six month contract with potential to extend
Location: London-based role with some flexibility
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here