BBC Studios is a powerhouse of bold British television, leading the way in creative storytelling. We already produce 2500+ hours of content every year and we are growing.
We have an exciting new opportunity to join the fantastic creative teams as we look to hire an outstanding Commercial and Business Development Director for the Factual Department. We believe this is one of the very best senior leadership roles across the UK Factual space and offers a huge breadth of variety for someone with a wealth of commercial experience, who can help us deliver our ambitious range of Factual content.
So what of the genre?
The Factual Department is a leading production arm within BBC Studios with passionate programme makers at its centre.
We bring over fifty years’ experience finding powerful stories, building brands and creating television franchises audiences around the world love. We work with the best talent to create, develop and produce innovative, award-winning factual content.
Our expertise and ambition have launched critically acclaimed powerhouse brands like Blue Planet, Planet Earth, Spring Watch, The Met, Planets, as well as compelling documentaries ‘Thatcher: A Very British Revolution, Imagine, The Real Michael Jackson and more popular formats such as Rip off Britain, Health Check UK Live.
The factual slate is currently in production with BBC, Channel 4, Netflix, Apple TV, National Georgraphic and Migu to name a few.
BBC Studios’ history, scale and world-class distribution arm means it is uniquely positioned to be the most ambitious and diverse drama producer in the UK.
We are looking for an exceptionally talented Commercial and Business Development Director who will develop and implement strategic plans to ensure that BBC Studios Productions’ Factual Department creates Intellectual Property and strikes key third party deals which maximise audience/user value and commercial return in a fast changing media environment.
As our Commercial and Business Development Director, working closely with the Managing Director, you will develop a commercial strategy for the Factual portfolio that ensures the strongest possible content pipeline and maximises its commercial potential and growth opportunities. You’ll manage the operational activities of the genre to ensure that commercial strategy can be executed and all operational activities are delivered as effectively as possible.
You’ll lead on innovation across the genre. It will be a key responsibility of this role to conceive initiatives over and above ‘business as usual as well as driving new business to achieve content pipeline targets for each of the factual genres.
Alongside the Managing Director, you’ll work closely with BBC Studios to assist in maintenance and delivery of its talent and supply base to enable it to continue to produce a strong content pipeline with global market opportunities.
You’ll be encouraged to proactively seek out new creative partnerships, as well as Identifying and developing new partnerships where we do not have any existing relationships.
Our Commercial and Business Development Director, will lead, negotiate, and approve terms for key partnerships and deals and ensure that the Genre takes maximum advantage of international opportunities including new business models in the U.S.
As the digital sphere is constantly evolving, you will all ensure that digital opportunities are fully understood, explore new funding models for distribution and exploitation of long and short form content.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of partnering and influencing creative teams, driving change through use of data, market intel and your network of broadcaster contacts, including the key commissioners and buyers in the UK & US market. to inform the senior team of where value sits in the value chain.
- Strong experience of partnering with editorial teams in order to guide their development, drive change and to match the commercial strategy to the editorial strategy, across short and long term plans.
- Experience of working within a production business, in close partnership with senior editorial and production management, and of supporting those teams to negotiate the best deals with our key partners.
- Experience of new form and digital content exploitation, and an understanding of where value sits in digital innovation and where future opportunities can be maximised.
- Experience of working with and building strong relationships with key third party clients and partners including the streamers, with a particular emphasis on experience with global partners in the US, China and other territories – to include the likes of Netflix, National Geographic, Disney+, Discovery, Sky, Amazon, HBO Max & others.
- Experience of successfully pitching into and negotiating with US commissioner platforms and broadcasters and proven experience of working with US agents & UK & US talent on & offscreen
- Experience of working in a large and complex Production environment / business.
- Strong understanding of the changing market landscape, especially with the major streamers and emerging platforms such as Tik Tok, Facebook & Instagram.
- Strong networks and insight into key creative and production talent on & offscreen in the UK & US and experience of talent deal making for on & offscreen.
- Proven innovator in business development and deal making, pioneering new types of partnerships, deals and ways of working.
Contract type: Continuing / permanent
Location: Television Centre, London, W12
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity. and as such we’re keen for applicants from underrepresented groups to apply, which include those with a disability, those from ethnic minorities, lower socio economic groups, LGBTQ+ community and different backgrounds to ensure we are representative of all.
We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here