Unrivalled production, Unmissable programmes.
BBC Studios is a powerhouse of bold British creative content. The BBC’s main TV production arm, we lead the way in creative storytelling, and we’re known and celebrated around the world for the quality of our programmes.
We are looking for a Commercial and Business Development Executive, to join our team. Based in London and reporting to the Commercial and Business Development Manager, you will be working as part of the Commercial and Business Development team for the Documentary Unit to support the delivery of the commercial strategy for BBC Studios.
Working with the Senior Commercial and Business Development Manager to negotiate commercial deals for content with BBC Studios Distribution, co-producers and others including distributors, publishers and other funders. You will be required to submit investment proposals to BBC Studios Distribution, co-producers and third party funders via the relevant BBC database where commercial investment is sought.
In addition, our Commercial and Business Affairs Executive will manage databases used by the BBC to record commercial deals and forecasts including CILS and C3PO. This role will oversee the Assistant in managing payment processes as required.
You will be able to manage the contracting process with BBC Studios Distribution of JCPs and securing signatures in a timely fashion as well as servicing commercial deals throughout the term of the deal including following delivery of the programme. You will ensure effective communication with production teams and advise production teams on rights, clearances and deliverables requirements. This role requires you to negotiate deliverable requirements with BBC Studios Distribution and other third parties to maximise benefit to production whilst still meeting the commercial partner’s needs.
Supporting the Commercial and Business Development Manager in forecasting commercial income and meeting commercial targets. To undertake research projects and business analysis on programme and market information where required by the Senior Commercial and Business Development Manager. To proactively identify and plan for upcoming events and conferences – including reaching out to internal stakeholders to agree attendees, organizing their key meetings, and preparing market intel briefing packs as required.
You will be required to deputise for the Senior Commercial Manager across the full range of their responsibilities where appropriate.
The Ideal Candidate
- Business or commercial experience within the media industry or related markets.
- A good understanding of the needs and motivations of content producers.
- A high level of computer literacy – especially with PowerPoint and Excel packages.
- Planning and organising skills – the ability to plan ahead and prioritise effectively.
- Flexibility – adaptable and able to work with a variety of situations and people.
- Relationship development – able to develop collaborative relationships with people at all levels within the organization and externally.
- Resilience, Drive and Energy – demonstrates and promotes enthusiasm and commitment in their day to day work.
- Decision making – proactive, well informed decision maker, able to take responsibility for their own decisions whilst knowing when to escalate matters or delegate tasks and responsibility.
- A genuine interest in the Factual genres.
- Team working skills.
- Good knowledge of contractual and copyright matters including rights and clearances.
- Research and/or sales experience within the international television industry
- Proven negotiation and influencing skills.
Contract type: 1 year FTC / Attachment maternity cover
Location: London W12
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here