Content Producer, BBC Reel
This is an exciting opportunity to work with one of the world's leading news and media organizations on BBC Reel, BBC.com’s internationally-focused factual video website.
The role involves commissioning and producing original video with the goal of growing the global reach and reputation of BBC Reel on and off-platform. The ideal candidate will coordinate production from idea generation up to publication and promotion, have a flair for new and innovative digital and social video formats, and be enthusiastic about discovering upcoming and diverse video talent. The role will be based in the New York office.
- Generate ideas for outstanding video content that help grow BBC Reel’s audience, impact and reach
- Commission distinctive and innovative short documentaries and viral digital videos to our network of video journalists around the world
- Discover new talented filmmakers
- Liaise and guide the filmmakers on the field
- Editing video pieces when necessary
- Forward planning and budgeting
- Ensure editorial control and timely delivery of videos that adhere to the BBC editorial guidelines and to the BBC’s highest journalistic standards
- Publish the videos on the website, monitor and optimize the headlines and thumbnails to increase traffic performance.
- Ensure the promotion of the videos.
- Track success through engagement rates, growth statistics, readers responses and other metrics and use data to provide feedback on the performance of the content
- Coordinate filming in the studio, keep track of our equipment inventory
- Occasionally produce, film and edit videos
- Provide concrete insights into new formats, video strategy and on the newest trends in the field of video journalism and digital storytelling
- Routinely fulfill duties unsupervised
- Help foster relationships and partnership with key organizations such as film schools, film festivals and filmmakers associations
Are you the right candidate?
- Solid journalistic and film-making background
- Proven experience in ideas generating for magazine and news outlets
- Solid experience in visual storytelling
- Sound editorial judgement based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive editorial guidelines
- Significant experience in filming and editing compelling short documentaries, explainers and digital videos
- Fluent in using FinalCutPro, Adobe Premiere and Audio editing tools
- Experience with animation and After Effect is a plus
- A clear, fluent writing style and an ability to produce strong headlines, summaries and promotional texts in British English
- A vivid interest and experience in a variety of magazine topics, such as culture, science, history, psychology and travel.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of more than one team. Resolving conflicts as necessary.
- Ability to manage resources, technical facilities and budgets, in order to make challenging productions in the most cost effective manner.
- A solid network of contacts within the filmmaking community
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences benefit the BBC.
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances.
- An understanding of Health & Safety procedures and how it applies to filming in the field.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here