Content and Production Manager
Globally, BBC Worldwide takes a lead role in developing premium content for audiences through a strong slate of programmes, leveraging deeper producer relationships, and by pursuing a more creative approach to deal-making. Were looking for people to join the team who can help us to maximise the return from our content relationships through access to programmes and creation of new IP, exposure to growth businesses, and ever-closer partnering.
BBC Good Food produces world-class, multi-media content for the BBC Good Food Brand in a fast-paced environment in which we constantly innovate. Our new content hub creates platform-specific content with a focus on our key verticals; recipes, family, health, travel, along with reviews, trends and eating out.
The Content and production manager is responsible for the cross-brand sub-editorial and production resources across all Good Food media, managing the sub-editorial hub; the alignment, setting and management of style, content, scheduling, planning and production across the Good Food brand.
- To schedule and manage the process and progress of multi-media content across all BBC Good Food brand platforms, setting and overseeing all schedules in line with their publishing timelines
- Organising and maintaining the planning and production schedules of all Good Food platforms, ensuring the most efficient use of time within and across each platform and that deadlines are met and managed effectively.
- To manage the subs hubs team of sub editors, and freelancers, working across all Good Food brand publications (GR, EC, HCS) and digital (website and social).
- Ensuring the subs hub is familiar with and understands the importance of and implements best practice rules for both print and SEO (stand first character length, page optimisation, keyword checks etc), staying up-to-date with emerging developments in publishing law, technology and style. Making sure the sub-editorial team is skilled in all of the Good Food brands publications and outlets and that each member of the team can work across all platforms.
- To set, maintain and regularly review the tone, style and factual accuracy of all content across the Good Food brand and all its platforms, with an excellent understanding of the different subbingdemands for print and online.
- Ensuring legal and company guidelines are met across every publication, platform and outlet of the Good Food brand
- Working with the Editor in chief, Creative director and format editors to bring the best of each platforms style and working practices to bear in the setting of and maintenance of that style as consistently as possible across the entire brand
- Responsible for the budget of the sub-editorial hub and ensuring that budget is maintained
- Ensuring cross-promotion of all brand platforms.
Scope & Impact
- Setting, reviewing and staying within deadlines and budget
- Managing a team of three subs, plus casual staff, based at TVC
- Reporting to the Editor in chief, this role forms part of the senior editorial team (along with Creative director, Head of digital content, Editor bbcgoodfood.com, Hub director, Magazines editor)
Strategic planning & decision making
- Developing and implementing a planning structure that allows our creatives to produce world class content in an environment in which we constantly innovate
- Working in a fast-paced, reactive environment where web users (search trends) are setting the agenda requires flexibility and awareness
- Used to working in a matrix organisation, using networking and influencing skills to drive forwards delivery and quality in the finished product/content
- Allocating subbing resource to the parts of the business that need it and reviewing this daily, weekly and monthly
- Believes that hubbing promotes an efficient way of working, improves communication, makes the most our existing talent and encourages collaboration across the brand.
- Daily contact with the content hub, Editor BBCGoodFood.com, Head of Magazines and Creative Director
- Regular (at least weekly) contact with the Editor in chief, Head of digital content, Digital and Magazine publishers, and Immediate Media marketing and production teams
- Occasional contact with the live events team (River Street) and Immediate advertising department.
- Working with BBC public-service colleagues and Editorial Review Boards to ensure that new activities are aligned and in accordance with the BBCs overall editorial strategy for its public-service output and BBC Editorial Guidelines.
Are you the right candidate?
Knowledge & Skills
- Proven experience of editing consumer content online and in print
- Proven organisational, writing and editing skills
- Strategic thinking and problem solving
- Proven managerial, leadership and communication skills
- Used to working in a matrix organisation, using networking and influencing skills to drive forwards delivery and quality in the finished product / content
- Ability to manage projects successfully, ensuring delivery is on time and on budget.
- Significant and proven knowledge of food
- Experience working on digital or multi-platform publications at senior level
- Proven experience of excellent organisational, writing and editing skills, preferably across several media
- Proven SEO experience
- Considerable experience of managing sub-editors on a consumer brand
- Proven experience of scheduling, flat-planning, managing workflow and setting and managing deadlines for a consumer magazine and/or website
- Proven ability to work well and calmly under pressure, working diplomatically while handling multiple deadlines simultaneously
- Proven commercial social media experience
- Excellence in Adobe InDesign and scheduling tools
- Experienced in sending magazines to print and publishing online and social media
- Experience of working in a large media organisation, liaising with multiple departments
About the BBC
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC. BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in; commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC in the UK and around the world, In 2015/16, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of 133.8M and headline sales of 1,029.4M and returned 222.2M to the BBC. Comprised predominantly of the non-English speaking world, our Global Markets business encompasses Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa (CEMA), Asia and Latin America. Business activities range from TV sales and channel operation to production and intellectual property exploitation.